Chapter One

A/N: Please Read > Beginning of this chapter is the prince's backstory, I wasn't sure about putting it in, but I decided to do so in the end ?? Not sure about it, eh, feel free to skip to the introduction of Sirius if ya want ;) Anyway, thanks for taking time to read this, hope you enjoy :))

_______________________________________

Our story begins a long, long time ago, in the stunning heart of France, in a beautiful palace. Inside the palace, lived a handsome Prince and his many servants. The prince had everything his heart could desire, and yet, despite all of this, his heart was cold and cruel. He ruled over his kingdom and his servants with an iron fist, hidden by a glove of white satin. His selfishness and his arrogance hung over him like dark storm clouds. The prince taxed the villagers of the land he owned for every penny they had, in order to decorate his palace with the finest of antiques, and to fill it with the finest of people.

The prince's parties were famous throughout the country, and, though only the richest of dukes and duchesses, lords and ladies were invited, were always the talk of the village. It was the evening of one of these parties where our story begins.

The party began how every one of the prince's parties began, him welcoming his guests and showing them around his palace; this was the prime time to showcase his wealth. And, the party went on as always; the prince danced with every lady and duchess, while his friends watched with drinks in their hands. No one could have predicted what was to happen that night. But selfish people always end up with no one but them selves.

It had been halfway through a dance - the prince's favourite too -, and the sky outside had grown dark. Clouds gathered ominously there, only showing the glowing full moon. However, no one at the ball noticed, everyone was far too engrossed in the prince, including the prince himself.

Suddenly, however, the backdoors of the ballroom swung open, letting in a huge gust of wind which whistled loudly, blowing out all the candles on the walls. Following behind the rush of air was a small, hunched over figure, their face hidden by a tattered, black hood. Those who had been standing in the middle of the room had backed up to one end of it, leaving the prince in the middle where he had always been. As the figure approached the prince, they lifted their hood, to reveal the face of a withered, old man.

The old man told the prince how he had been walking all evening, how the storm was building quickly, how he only wanted a roof over his head for the night. He offered, as payment, a single, red rose, its petals still wet from the rain.

The prince all but cackled at the offer, taking the rose and throwing it to the ground in disgust, before pointing the old man to the door he had just entered from. While the crowd laughed, the old man warned the prince of his actions, but his mind remained unchanged.

It was then, that a bright, golden light erupted from the old man, his entire body hidden by the glow, which was rapidly filling the room with light. The old beggar had vanished, in his place, a tall sorcerer stood.

The prince fell to his knees in desperation, while the crowd behind him screamed and ran. The sorcerer, as punishment for his selfishness, put a curse on the prince and the palace, transforming him into a horrifying, wolf-like beast.

The sorcerer did, however, allow a way for the curse to be lifted. If the prince could learn to love another, and earn their love in return, he, and his servants would be freed. If he hadn't done so by the time the last petal of the single rose fell, he would remain a beast, forever.

The sorcerer's final curse was to ensure the palace, and all who lived there, were forgotten about by the rest of the world. As years went by with not a single visitor, the prince and his servants lost hope; for who could ever learn to love a beast?