i. | N I N E

N E R I S S A

"Milady." Oreius calls as he joins me, "Have you sustained any injuries from the battle?"

"A little cuts here and there, but nothing I can't handle." I smile, "You worry too much, Oreius."

"The well-being of my troops is important to me, Milady." He returns a smile, "Besides, seeing as to how you had handled yourself against the Witch, you might be our biggest asset just yet. Can't have you getting hurt now, can we?"

I couldn't help but laugh, "Is that all I am to you, Oreius? An asset? I'm disappointed, I here I thought you saw me more as a partner in crime of sorts." I joke.

Oreius' smile widens as he tries to fight back a laugh.

His smile fades as he stares off into a distance and I follow his gaze to see Aslan up on a cliff with Edmund.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Oreius asks.

"Nosy, aren't we?" I tease, nudging him with my elbow.

"I wouldn't say I'm nosy, Milady." He laughs, "Just a little curious, that's all."

"I'd rather leave things alone, Oreius." I say, "After all, curiosity did kill the cat."

"Well, but satisfaction brought it back, didn't it?" Oreius chuckles, shaking his head at me.

"Finally." I clapped my hands together, "Someone who actually knows the full proverb."

I pause as my eyes land on a figure behind Oreius. I nod towards the boy, notifying Oreius of his presence.

"Your majesty." I greet.

The King-to-be simply stands there, his face white as a sheet and filled with worry. He opens his mouth to speak, but nothing seems to come out.

"Your brother's fine." I state as Oreius gestures towards Edmund.

An instant wave of relief washes over his face as he lets out a big sigh of relief.

"Thank you both." He says, before running off, probably to tell his sisters.

I find my eyes following the boy as he finally finds his sisters and shares the good news with them.

My eyes snap towards Oreius as he lets out a chuckle.

"What?" I demanded.

"Oh, nothing, Milady." Oreius shrugs, but the huge grin on his face remains, "I just thought maybe there's a little bit of an attraction there, that's all."

My mouth falls wide open at his statement, "Attraction? B-Between me and him?"

"Why not? I would consider both of you to be exceptionally good looking young people." Oreius says, unable to stop himself from grinning.

"Oreius, have you gone mad?" I scolded, "There's no such thing going on here. I'm supposed to be protecting him."

I roll my eyes as the centaur dissolves into laughter with no trace of his usual serious facade.

"This is probably the first time anyone has ever seen you laugh, Oreius." I comment, folding my arms over my chest.

"You should be honoured, Milady. Not everybody gets to see this side of us, centaurs." He says.

"Oh, yes, of course. I'm extremely flattered, Oreius. Can't you tell?" I say sarcastically.

Oreius clears his throat, instantly back to his normal self as soon as some members of our troop walk by.

"It's quite amazing, you know? How you could just compose yourself like that."

Oreius glances at me sideways, "I do still have a reputation to uphold, Milady."

I snicker at that, "You're absolutely ridiculous." I sigh, "I'm going to get some rest. You should too, Oreius."

Oreius nods in reply, "I will, Milady."

With that, I retreated to my tent, catching a glimpse of the Pevensies settling down for a meal of eggs and toast outside their tents that were situated not too far from mine.

I set my weapons aside, finally able to get some much-needed rest when I hear Peter's voice from outside.

"Lucy, it's too dangerous. You almost drowned!" He argues, "And Edmund was almost killed!"

I'm immediately tuned in to their conversation, feeling slightly guilty for eavesdropping.

"Which is why we have to stay!" This time, it was the younger boy who spoke.

"No, Edmund. Like I said, it's too dangerous." Peter says sternly.

I let out a huff in annoyance before budging out of my tent, unable to bite my tongue.

"So, that's it? You come into these people's home, give them hope and now you're just going to leave?" I snapped, "Some of them have risked everything to keep you guys alive and you're just going to leave them for dead?"

"I'm sorry, I really am." The boy exhales sharply, "But we can't help you. I've already made my choice, we're-"

"You've made your choice?" I cut him off, "Look around you. Unlike you, these people don't have a choice. They fight to save their families, to save their homes and they fight so others could live."

"Peter, she's right." Edmund agrees, "I've seen what the White Witch can do. We can't just leave them behind to suffer."

"I suppose that's it then." The older girl gets up from her seat and picks up her weapon.

"Where are you going?" Peter questions.

"To get in some practice." Susan replies, flashing a smile at me.

Lucy jumps up from her seat, "We're staying?" She asks excitedly.

"I suppose so." Peter lets out a laugh, before turning towards me.

"Training starts tomorrow as soon as the sun rises." I start before he could say anything, making him clamp his mouth shut, "It's going take a lot to convince me that you have what it takes to lead these people."