Chapter 4 - The Witch in the Cottage

If only I could fly in the sky like a bird. If only I could swim freely in the waters like a fish… Why do humans wish for such things….?

[Page 1- Book 1, Chapter 1]

Husky and I were only given one large blanket to share. We slept together with our heads on a rolled up matt. I wasn’t sure if Husky actually fell asleep, but I knew I couldn’t. So I didn’t even bother. We suddenly stopped sharp.

“Hey! Come out here!” The man with the closed face yell at us. Husky and I slowly got out until we stepped outside. We were in the middle of nowhere, dirt for miles and a big rock structure behind us.

“Just a pit stop. Do your business, if you’ve got any.” The man told us.

“Come into the shade. Your pasty white skin will fry out there in the sun.” Another man said with a sneer as he glared at Husky. Husky went into the shade and I followed as well.

“Here, eat!” The men said, handing us both food. A loath of bread and a cup of water. I went a little  away from the men and sat next to the rocks. Husky still stood there, looking around frantically.

“You’re a fish +Anima… If you run away, you won’t find any rivers or ponds. You’ll just hurt yourself for nothing.” The one told Husky, while the other turned to me.

“And you? You’re not even a +Anima! It will do you no good at all to even try and run away. However, it seems you already know that. Obedient.” He said with a smirk.

After our pit stop we were on the road again. The next time we stopped, we got off and they bound our hands together and took us to their slave market. Husky and I were put together on display, for some strange reason.

“A fish +Anima…! He’d make a good fisherman’s assistant. It’s so wasteful to send him here. He’s been brought specially to Stella with that girl…”

“Yeah! Lord Hashas has been longing for a rejuvenating slave.”

“And remember he’s also a painter! I bet if we were to make a good enough presentation for Lord Hashas he would surely buy both of them!”

“Yes! We can even make a show for him! How about a Kimunkle girl, capturing a merman?”

“Yes! Well, let’s tidy up first.”

“Would blue be suitable? The child’s clothes are blue anyway...” One of the buyers said, examining Husky before searching through more clothes.

“Wait a second!” Husky yelled suddenly, surprising me so that I fell to the ground and the two men dropped the clothes. “If you’re going to sell us, then we’re valuable to you. I know what will make us even more valuable to defiantly sell us. Will you listen?” Husky suggested, and I raised an eyebrow at him. I wasn’t sure what he was doing, but I think I understood. He’s trying to get them to make him look different, so that Lord Hashas won’t recognize him as a ghost prince. Although what he had in mind was surprising.