Chapter Six - Pride and Prejudice

Rain had begun to pick up outside, gently pattering against the large windows of the bookstore. The barista and the bookstore owner were locked in a stunned silence. Jotaro deftly pulled Kakyoin closer, closing the gap between them. He, for once, didn't stop the wide smile that was inching onto his face. In one fell swoop, the worries that had been plaguing him for two weeks now had slipped away, leaving an indescribable bliss in their wake. His reverie was interrupted by the sound of light sniffling.

"Kakyoin? Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

"...I... I'm in shock." his voice wavered. "In all honesty... The only reason why I had been coming around so often is because of you. I didn't even expect you to give me the time of day, with how standoffish you seemed, and then how you stormed out of the cafe, but... The coffee, the dinner, it was all so much, I couldn't handle it. And then, the whole movie night ordeal..."

Jotaro drew the barista into a tight embrace, and gently ran his fingers through his mop of red hair. It was as soft as it looked, and smelled of both cherries and coffee. He couldn't think if anything meaningful to say, so he let his actions speak for him.

"You don't have to do this for me, you know." Kakyoin eventually murmured. "You've got nothing to gain from it, and I know you're only doing it out of pity."

Jotaro pulled back a bit, and lifted his chin with a thumb. Kakyoin's eyes were still as striking as the first time he noticed them, and the fact that they were slightly glittering made them even more so.

"I'm not doing this out of pity. I'm doing this because I love you."

"I just... I can't believe it. It's not a bad sort of disbelief, though."

"Hmph. Have a little faith in me. Unless you want me to prove it to you?"

"Oh, um, that's not what I–"

Jotaro leaned down and pressed his lips to the barista's, cutting him off mid sentence. His lips were plush and slightly chapped, and had a lingering minty flavour. Kakyoin slung his arms around Jotaro's neck and pulled him even closer, deepening the kiss. They stayed like this for quite some time, until a bright flash of lightning outside split them apart. Both their faces were flushed.

"It's storming pretty hard out there." said Jotaro nonchalantly. "Do you have an umbrella? I know you probably want to get home as soon as possible."

"Maybe so. But it's still pretty early, you know." Kakyoin replied smugly. "The rain could let up eventually, and I'd rather wait it out with you."

"I hope you're not expecting me to cook for you, again, because it's not happening."

"You've seen right through me."

The bookstore owner wasn't sure why they were avoiding talking about what just happened, but he didn't mind all that much. It would have ruined the magic of the moment. The uneasiness and awkwardness between the pair was nothing but a memory at the moment, and an air of comfort was left in its place. It felt natural, the way their personalities clicked.

"Wait, so you were trying to get me to cook for you?"

"...If I say yes, you won't get mad, right?"

"Maybe, maybe not. I do appreciate the subtle compliment, though."

"So does that mean you'll-"

"No, it doesn't. You're doing the cooking, this time."

"I'm not the best at it, so when I burn your kitchen down, then you will realize the error of your ways."

"I'm only kidding. C'mon. We're losing daylight, just standing here."

They both put an arm around the other's waist unconsciously, and strolled up to the apartment. Before he opened the door, Jotaro turned to Kakyoin with a raised eyebrow.

"Don't you have work tomorrow?"

"I'll call out. I need a break from that place, anyway."

They both snickered, and crossed the threshold into what they hoped would be a happy future.