The Last Three Rules And One In Addition

7) Don't lie to yourself (admit that you need help)

"I still think we should be going for the chainsaws..." Dean noted for the fifth time and Sam gave him an unimpressed look – for the fourth time. Vera's reaction was changing – from shocked and horrified, to slightly disgusted, ending up ignoring Dean's notes completely.

Bobby told them that the chainsaw was working as a good tool for decapitation – which he believed was the way to get rid of those sons of bitches. On the other hand, if Dean discovered another weakness, it would be a waste not to use it to their advantage. They settled on machetes and simple hair sprays with lighters. Dean brought Sam his laptop so he could be looking for any other possibilities and ordered take out. Now they were just bored. They only waited for the sun going down and the streets to get less crowded, so they could work without scaring the shit out of people.

From time to time, Vera or one of the brothers popped a random question.

"What was the scariest monster you ever encountered?" she asked hesitantly, looking a little like she didn't really wanted to hear the answer.

Sam thought about the question for a while, wondering. For him, the most terrifying beings were demons – Azazel, because he took his mother and his girlfriend away from him. Lilith, because she killed Dean. Ruby, because she made him turn against his own brother. Lucifer was an angel technically, but...

Dean clearly had his mind made up. "People."

Vera gave him an odd look and didn't ask anything for a while.

"How does your thing with Matt even work? I mean, did Mike have to like... give him a permission to date you? Or sleep with you, or...?"

Vera's eyes popped, her face immediately bright red. "I don't think that's any of your business. But before you can create some wild fantasy about it, I started dating Matt before Mike and I became really close so there's that."

Dean made a face and Sam shot him a look so he wouldn't ask any more idiotic questions.

"The angels... what did you mean when you said angels were... you know."

"Dicks? That's easy. They just are."

"...Anyone wants pie?"

It was around five when the shadows finally fell over the city. It was still too soon to do anything really, but the atmosphere in the room thickened considerably.

"Alright, I'm gonna ask... Sam, how exactly do you want to fight anything in your state?" Vera eyed him nervously, shifting in her seat, her gaze quickly lowering as Sam looked at her.

It wasn't like Sam thought he was capable of taking down a werewolf at the time – the thing was that he had to. They had no choice – it was a miracle that their yesterday's escapade stopped the werewolves from hurting anyone else, but another night might change everything; the creatures could be more blood-thirsty than before. Not to mention the fact this might be the last chance to get them, unless they were true-bloods and they could shift whenever they wanted to. For another twenty days or so, they would remain human. Not convenient. Sam needed to grit his teeth and try to not to pull out too many stitches.

"Well..."

"He's gonna have backup," gravel voice announced from the window and three heads snapped in that direction. They were all surprised at first – then their faces changed, two of them smiling slightly, the last one twisted in horror.