This is Society (Prologue)

People.

They're our best friends. Yet our worst enemies. They create a sense of security within us, but in a split second of their lifetime, could rip that all away, with just one word. One word is all it takes to make something we have accepted, become something we hate.

We find people we have something in common with, or naturally get along with. We make them our friends. We involve them in our life. We put our trust in them.

That is where we are stupid.

A trust we spend forever long trying to build up. And we leave it in the palms of another human being, giving them power to crush it with one twitch of their finger. With trust falls confidence, the fun times, and the secrets. All you are left with are memories. Memories that are bitter sweet and like cold ice on your teeth. You cherish the memories of what you had, longing to have it back. But crushing the breath out of you when you remember how you were betrayed. And knowing they are going on with their life without a second look back at you. With out a single regret. Like you were just a spec of dust on their shoulder they swipe away without a thought.

In life you travel on your chosen path, picking up friends along the way. Some friends you will find are not worth keeping. The ones who will throw you away like a rag doll. But there are those very few people who make it all worth it. Those are the ones you keep. They will never betray your trust, but they do make mistakes. It is human nature to make mistakes. No matter how hard a person strives to perfect themselves and their ways, they will never succeed. Nothing is perfect. And there is nothing we can do to change that.

You will find those people you like more than friends. And you will want to be with them. To know their every move, thought, reaction, likes and dislikes. But when you know they don't feel the same it's like a knife to the heart. They go around thinking nothing of your feelings. Talking to other girls while they ignore you completely, like they don't know the effect it can have on you. Maybe they don't know. But suppose, just suppose they do. Would you be able to ignore the realization that what you do or don't do can make, or ruin their day, or week? People that genuinely care for you don't come easy. Rarely does a person find someone they truly care about. Having someone look at your heart instead of your body or the way you look is what we yearn for. We want to feel worth something in this world. Not just another grain of sand on the beach, here one day and washed away the next. But something that actually makes a difference in life. And to feel worthy of that, we look toward the opposite gender for acceptance. All around us our friends are dating people. It seems like they have a partner that is perfect for them and loves them.

But like I said before, nothing is perfect.

From the outside we see two people that look at each other with a caring glint in their eyes. We see two people who get along without a struggle. It looks like they are the perfect couple like you see in movies.

But none of that is real.

You looking in from the outside don't really know what is going on. From the outside people see a pretty girl who loves life and has everything she could ever ask for. But on the inside, looking inside of her heart, she is falling to pieces. She's letting herself and everyone around her tear her to bits. But everyday, she hides it with makeup. She covers up the tears. And let's herself go on with a silent plea.

That 'perfect couple' is actually a disastrous time bomb waiting to explode. The guy yells at the girl and she yells at him. He says he loves her but he winks at her best friend. And guess what else? This is the 3rd time they've dated. She's knows he's no good but she always goes back to him. Always spending her nights crying her eyes out when she's lost him while he's out partying with his friends and getting drunk, not thinking about her. In the morning she crawls back to him thinking he is the one she must have. His 'I love you' is stamped across her heart as a promise. But his 'I love you' is just three words in his vocabulary he learned before pre-K. So why does she keep going back to him? When she knows it's only going to end the same way over and over again. Why?

Because she wants to feel accepted.

People are the reason we cry, we laugh, we hate, we love, we are loved and we are hated. They are the reason we put on makeup everyday just so we will be decent to go out in public. Why we worry about what we are going to wear, how we are going to act, or what we should say.

This is Society.

But who is society you ask? We are. The people. But how can this be if we have the choice to decide what's cool and what's not? What is pretty and what is not? How can we create these terms and live by them wishing they never existed, and in the end we blame society?

That's exactly it. We have longed for perfection for too long, that we create these terms in our head. But we can't accomplish these terms. Perfection is impossible. So we turn to others. We shove aside the fact that we aren't perfect and look at every imperfection in everyone's appearance and lifestyle. We snap our teeth at their ankles like wild dogs chasing their prey. Then when they trip we bow our heads in the sorrow that they were such great people. So pretty and nice. Only when they are gone do we admit to their inner and outer beauty. But while they were here we spend every ounce of their time trying to convince them they have none. And when we turn around people are doing the same to us. They snap at our ankles begging for us to trip and be tangled into the cruel and screwed up world called Society.

But when will people see they are society and take a stand against it? When will they stop making these impossible terms and start living by humanly imperfect terms?

That, is what I don't know.

Welcome, to Society.