Chapter 3 - Vessel

He was impressed by the astute insight of Inara, even as the rage at the accuracy of her assessment of the situation flowed like honey through his veins. His city was under attack and he needed to root out his enemies, but first he needed to determine if Inara was an ally or foe.

"That is an interesting theory. You see a plot to overthrow me, whereas I see a plot to overthrow your sister. With all the changes in leadership in the city, now would be the perfect time to take the temple from a foreign high priestess, would it not? Care to elaborate on why you think this goes beyond a simple power struggle for control of the temple?"

She flashed him a look of annoyance, clearly not liking his line of questions. "Do not play me for a fool, your highness. You know damn well this is about you, not my sister. You are the new king of Uruk by rite of conquest, not by blood. While you won the crown on the battlefield, you still must battle to gain the support and loyalty of the city. Your throne is not secure and many would love to see you fall. Today is the first day of the Akitu Festival; any disruption will be looked upon as the gods turning on you and the city. The people will revolt. Even you and your army cannot fight on two fronts when you do not know who in the city is friend or foe. No, this is an attack on you; killing my sister is their weapon of choice."

"Agreed." Turning, he motioned for the leader of his personal guard to their side. "Ninazu, I want you to take the priestesses in this room out of the city. They are to be interrogated. I want to know how deep this plot runs."

"Yes, sire."

Inara stopped Ninazu before he could turn and leave, "A moment, if you please. I would like to send some of my warriors as well; two who are skilled interrogators. They will be able to determine who is innocent, and who is not. They will also be a perfect cover for the disappearance of these priestesses. It is well known that the warrior branch of Inanna resides out in the plains beyond the river, a special request for their expertise can be sent that will help to explain our presence and their disappearance with those who reside in the temple, as well as the city."

Ninazu looked to Sin, "It is not a bad idea, my lord. At the very least, it may prevent the conspirators from realizing that their plan failed. If they are determined to topple you, they will have to expose themselves in another attack."

Sin shook his head, "They do not have to expose themselves, they have already won. With Asharru too ill to complete her role in the ceremony, the covenant with the goddess will break. The people will revolt and the blood of innocents will spill. We must prepare for war, not trying to smuggle these women from the temple."

Inara stepped closer to the king, drawing his attention back to her. "With all due respect your highness, you are wrong. The Akitu Festival will go on as planned, and the contract with the goddess will be renewed with none the wiser as to what has taken place here."

Sin glared down at Inara, the absurdity of her statement making his voice harden with anger, "Asharru is too ill, never would I insist she complete her role in the ceremonies when her life is at stake. I can secure the city through other means if necessary."

Smiling at the care and honor he showed her sister, it made it easy for her to suggest the plan that had been toying at the back of her mind since he entered the room. "I do not believe I said that Asharru would renew the contract my lord."

"And who would take the place of the high priestess?" he demanded sarcastically.

"I would."

Inara smiled at the thunderous expressions leveled at her by the two men. It reminded her of why she joined the order in the first place; men could be such narrow-minded creatures some days.

"Blasphemy," breathed Ninazu.

"Hardly,' she sneered as she turned to face him, "Asharru and I are identical twins. No one outside this room is aware of this fact. I can easily take her place while she recovers and we work to uncover the traitors. After that, we can easily switch back with none the wiser."

Ninazu shook his head, "It must be the high priestess that renews the contract with the king. No one else can take her place, or his for that matter. It is written; to do otherwise will anger the gods. No, this cannot be."

Sighing, she shook her head, "That is precisely the point, no one save a high ranking follower of Inanna can take her place, which is what the conspirators were counting on. If they believe that their plan failed, they will be forced to try again. It will be the best chance we have in catching them and saving innocent lives."

"You just proved my point, my lady. You said it yourself, the high priestess must do her part in all the rituals," Ninazu countered.

"No, I said a high ranking follower of Inanna must renew the contract. As the highest-ranking member of the warriors of Inanna, I hold the same rank and position as the high priestess. I am precisely who you need to step in and take her place."

Sin stood still with his arms crossed as he watched and listened to the two arguing their points back and forth. His mind quickly assessed the strengths and weaknesses of their positions. An idea formed in his head, giving him hope that he may be able to avoid an uprising after all.

Both Inara and Ninazu turned to face Sin when he cleared his throat, drawing their attention back to him. "Ninazu, take half the men and smuggle these women out of the temple. Leave Ninlil behind with us. Use the old escape route just outside this chamber. Also, take the two warrior women as well and allow them to interrogate the priestesses. Make sure that no one sees you."

Saluting, he turned to follow his king's command. Inara motioned for two of the warrior women to her side, and after briefly giving them their orders, they turned to leave with Ninazu and the others.

Sin silently watched Inara as she glanced over at her sister as the warrior called Puabi fought to save her life. There was still the chance that Asharru might still die this night, or in the coming days. The fear and worry for her twin was clearly on her mind. He knew the heart ache of seeing a loved one suffering, unable to take away their pain. It clouded the mind and impaired judgment, it made one do things they might not ordinarily do otherwise. He had to make sure that Inara was clear on what she was suggesting they do, that she was prepared for all that this ruse of their – if he agreed to it – would entail, especially on her part.

Sin gently took hold of her chin, turning her attention from her sister to him. Once he was satisfied that he had her complete attention, he warned, "While I agree that your idea has merit Inara, you have overlooked the fact that in order for this idea of yours to work, you must be willing to fulfill all the requirements for the renewal of the contract. You will be expected to fulfill your role as the vessel of goddess Inanna, as I will be the vessel of her concert Dumuzid. On the tenth day, we will mate as they did on their wedding night. Think carefully about what this would entail my lady, before you decide if this is truly the best course of action you wish to take."