Chapter Five

For the next three days, three more bodies were discovered on the outskirts of Las Vegas. The rate the unsub was murdering was overwhelmingly fast. It was as if they didn't take a breath between kills. They were moving faster than anyone on the team could have imagined. 

What was jarring about these discoveries was the fact some bodies were at different decomposition stages. This stood out to everyone since this meant the unsub had been murdering these men before they were ever in Barstow. The timelines were off between each victim. Some were murdered a few days ago, some a few weeks ago. The unsub was definitely keeping everyone on high alert for unexpected bodies to pop up.

"Jason Harris, Justin Yates, and Richard Dray were all found throughout the last three days," Hotch said as he walked alongside Reid at the police station. 

"Harris was found behind a dumpster behind The Idle Spurs Steakhouse, Yates was found near the outskirts of Las Vegas and Dray was found on the side of the old highway. Probably a significant mark for the victims as well," Reid explained. 

Hotch stopped walking and turned around to face Reid. Reid could see how tired Hotch was from having the unsub one step ahead of them. Considering the number of bodies being discovered now along with the high number, it was hard not to be angry with the unsub. Reid understood completely.

"So, we're looking for a woman that is targeting men that are only children, probably making her an only child as well," Hotch said. 

"Well, not exactly," Reid said. 

Hotch looked at Reid weirdly. "What makes you think otherwise?" 

"Well, I'm not 100% sure it's a woman disposing of the bodies," Reid said.

"But you can see the remorse in where the unsub dumps the body, dumping them near a significant place of the victims," Hotch explained.

"But if you notice, the victim's body isn't placed in a remorseful way," Reid explained. "Also, getting a body to a specific location takes a lot of strength, even if just moving the body to the car," Reid continued. 

JJ interrupted them as she walked into the conference room. Reid and Hotch looked at her and immediately knew she had made a connection. They could only hope the connection would bring them closer to figuring out who the unsub was. 

"We just found out something else from the autopsy. They found little bits of tissue on two of the victim's wounds," she said. 

Hotch looked at Reid. "Signs of remorse. Still think it's a male we're after?" 

Reid pondered for a minute. "But how is she disposing of the bodies herself? If it is a woman, she probably didn't murder them in a public space, so she had to get them there somehow."

JJ's mind lit up with a possibility as to how the female unsub was transporting the bodies. It couldn't possibly be just a woman unsub. 

"Male accomplice?" She suggested.

Hotch and Reid looked at each other. Reid gave Hotch a look to indicated that they were all on the same wavelength. They were definitely looking for two unsubs. It was the only logical thing they could come up with at that moment.

"It's a high possibility," Hotch said. 

"We still don't know why they're both doing this," Reid said.

"Maybe they get stimulated from the feeling of killing troubled children now adults," JJ said. 

"Maybe," Hotch said.

Later on in the evening when Reid was getting ready to leave, Morgan knocked on the conference room door. Reid turned around to see Morgan standing at the door frame with a file in hand. He then walked in and went up to Reid to give him the file.