"I'd rather not talk about it." He admits staring down at his drink, before Stiles could reply the sound of the front door opening and closing fills the air.

"Stiles?" The Sheriff voice calls through the house and Stiles looks towards the door.

"In the lounge room. Why are you home so early?" Stiles shouts placing his mug on the floor.

"Finished all the work I needed to for the night." The Sheriff responds as he appears at the doorway leaning against the door. "Oh afternoon Derek, I didn't know you were here."

Stiles glances to Derek who was staring at his mug with his head low and Stiles suddenly realises Derek doesn't want the sheriff to see his injuries.

"Sorry Sheriff, I was just leaving." Derek responds putting his mug on the floor as he stands up gingerly and Stiles knew his ribs were hurting him.

"Are you alright son?" The Sheriff asks turning the light on in the room and Stiles knew there was no hiding the bruises on Derek's face now. He looks over at his Dad as his face goes wide with shock, concern and anger.

"Derek, what happened?" His Dad questions sternly walking into the room until he was standing in front of Derek. Stiles not knowing what to do just sits there watching his father trying to workout what he was possibly thinking. "Who the hell did this to you son?" His Dad asks in a tone Stiles has rarely heard.

"It's nothing sir, I'm fine." Derek responds looking down at the ground.

"Derek answer me, who the hell did this? Was it them? Did they find you?" His Dad questions in a slightly fearful voice as he grabs Derek's chin gently tilting his head so he could get a better look at the bruises. What is his dad talking about? Who is trying to find Derek?

"No. No, it was just a misunderstanding at the bar, it's fine." Derek replies shaking his head. His Dad doesn't say anything for a while just stares at Derek until he finally nods and  gestures towards the couch as they both sit down next to Stiles.

"Hang on, Dad, who did you think hurt Derek? Why did you say 'was it them'? Who the hell is 'them'?" Stiles questions glancing between his father and Derek.

"It's nothing Stiles, I was just jumping to conclusions." His father says like that is a reasonable answer but it totally isn't.

"That doesn't answer my question." He responds frowning at his Dad but it was Derek who replies first.

"It's not important Stiles, please drop it." Derek says and usually Stiles wouldn't drop it, he likes to know exactly what's happening and not being left in the dark. But the tone in Derek's voice made him nod in agreement.

-

He can't get the look on the Sheriff's face out of his head when he first saw the bloodied bruises on his face. The man looked scared, worried and angry all with the same expression and with the tone in his voice, he sounded ready to shoot the person responsible. It reminded Derek of his own father that time when both him and Laura came home from school with matching black eyes. His father had the same expression as the Sheriff did last night and Derek smiles remembering the moment. His father questioned what happened and who done it and Laura responded with, "You should see the other guy! He tried to start a fight with Derek. Which was a bad move, Derek landed a solid punch to his face and I happened to walk past at the same time and lets just say he probably won't be able to have kids in the future." Laura had said and they cracked up laughing. Laura always had his back against bullies at school, she always had his back with anything.