Chapter 9

Ghostly Hauntings:

Chapter 9:

Mai took a while to orientate herself in reality. That dream had been startlingly realistic and she still couldn't get her head around it. It also left her with a few tears in her eyes. In her sleepy and emotional state, she didn't link the dream with what she knew about Naru's brother's death.

It was clear that Naru had taken her alarm clock from her bedroom and left it on the sofa next to her so she would wake up on time. It was considerate of Naru.

Lin would find it amusing when she told him. He looked like he needed cheering up. Spending over a year in Japan fruitlessly looking for leads on the deaths of both Davis children could not be enjoyable for him. The true significance of her dream only dawned on her now.

Hadn't Eugene Davis died in a car accident?

Lin had mentioned them both dying in the same way. Of course, Naru wasn't dead, but the implicated link was clear. The murderer had chosen the same weapon both times.

She knew she hadn't seen the attempted murder of Naru because her dream had depicted an accident in the middle of nowhere on a sunny afternoon or possibly morning. The car accident involving Naru had been in the evening.

Was it Eugene's death she had experienced?

Lin hadn't given them much information about Eugene's death so it could possibly be what she had experienced. The problem was that a dream wasn't conclusive evidence and she had no prior experience with cognitive dreams. It could merely be a coincidence.

She chewed her toast thoughtfully. It was worth asking Lin for some more details to see if they corresponded with her dream. If they matched she wasn't sure what she would do. It could mean that she was psychic. Would that mean her dream about marrying an alive Naru would come true?

She blushed and hastily finished her toast. There was no use dwelling on that dream. She checked the time and decided that she had a spare ten minutes before she had to run for the bus. Lin should be awake and available to talk at this time.

Lin had provided her with a contact number the day before in case she remembered anything suddenly. It had seemed like a useful thing to have. Now she was glad of it because she hadn't been planning to go to the hospital at all because of her timetable.

"Good morning, Taniyama-san," Lin greeted when he accepted the call. "I was not expecting a call from you."

"I'm in a rush right now so I can't explain why I'm asking this, but: can you tell me about what Naru knew about Eugene Davis' death?"

There was a silence over the line and she could tell that Lin was surprised by her blunt question.

"He was hit by a car when he was walking on a country road. Noll said there was a mountain nearby. The driver of the car got out and looked at him. Then he was hit by the car again and this time he died. The vision turned green- that means the body has died-"

"Ah!" Mai exclaimed.

It matched with what she had dreamt. The details matched. The location was the same and so were the events. There wasn't much to doubt. She just had to make sure that everything was the same.

"Was it in the daytime and was the driver wearing jeans...?"

The sound of paper rustling was apparent over the line and then Lin answered.

"...Yes. That matches with Noll's transcript."

Mai didn't know what to say in reply. It couldn't be possible for her to have seen it. Could she still be dreaming? She dismissed that easily, the nervousness she was feeling was too realistic for a dream.