seventeen: my kingdom

Start from the beginning

I scanned the few families that had lost their house and their member, they looked tired and hungry with dirts on their faces and clothes torn. I gripped my hands on the arms of my golden throne feeling the crown placed on my head. Maximus saw the change in my state and placed a somehow comforting hand on my shoulder as he caressed it and nodded resting his lips on a thin line.

"Your Majesty, these are the families that survived the attack on the West Side of the North. We await your orders on what action shall be taken" I sighed and gratefully nodded my head in the direction of the royal guard.

"The West Side will be restored shortly, I will have workers to build new houses and facilities for the people. This creates more jobs for those who need it. Those who have lost their family in this unfortunate event may pay respects in courtesy of our kingdom, all cost will be taken care of. In the mean time, I shall have you live in the comfort and hospitality of the castle" I sighed and looked at Maximus like the old times where I always needed to know if I was doing the right thing.

I wouldn't have cared before but I looked at Maximus without even knowing and I could tell he was surprised too as he widened his eyes but composed them quickly before giving me a slight nod. I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding and composed myself as well. I looked ahead at the families.

"Thank you, Your Majesty we do not deserve your kindness!" A man who I presumed was the father bowed along with his two children, I nodded my head and a woman stepped forwards from the other side and bowed, "Your Majesty we would like it if we could repay the food, water, and shelter given to us in this kingdom by helping to rebuild the West" Others nodded as well and so did I.

"Yes you may, you are all welcome and I only hope this war will be over soon" I replied watching as they bowed and nodded, maidens and royal guards flooded the throne room and escorted the families to their new stays. I watched as each of them left, children left with their father, some with mother and some both. There were couples as well who held each other despite what had happened.

However, as I looked at the place where the people once stood, there was a small figure standing in the middle of the room. She had a toy rabbit that looked dirty without one of its eyes, I squinted my eyes and saw a little girl who looked around the room. I glanced at Maximus who shook his head and shrugged his shoulders, no one knew the girl. She looked around four years old, with her almost white blonde hair and her eyes were bright brown. She sucked one of her thumbs and finally glanced in my direction, I could see her dried tears on her cheeks. She stumbled in my direction and struggled to climb the small steps to my throne, when she reached the final step she almost fell. I dashed out of my seat and caught her little figure. She looked at me a little bit scared, her eyes wide and her mouth gaped open. I thought she would burst out crying after she scrunched her face and her lips pouted but as her hands reached mine, she stopped and stared at me in confusion, I returned her gesture. Though, I remained holding her with my arms stretched out looking at Maximus for help who took a step forward and held the girl in his arm, she stopped looking into my eyes and laid her little head on his shoulder, closing her eyes.

"Maximus?" I called out questioningly both of our gaze on the little girl, "Maybe she has been left behind by one of the surviving families" I reasoned which made sense.

"Right, I'll just go to the shelter for the families and ask there" He replied, nodding my head as he left with the girl in his arms. Yet as both of them walked away, Athena and I were caught staring at the girl, softly, I shook my head and eased my worry by assuring myself that she had a family, that they forgot. I left the throne room, my thoughts clouded with all the information that was given to me.

What are we gonna do

I asked Athena who was no help and remained quiet so I made my way down the hallway towards the training rooms hearing the loud cry of soldiers followed by the familiar sounds of swords clashing. As I passed by each training room, I could feel the difference in their aura, stronger and more head strong. I smiled proudly but didn't let anyone see it until General Arsa of Section 3 caught my eyes. She approached my way and stood upright as she put her chest on her heart, I greeted her with a wave of my hand and she returned to her normal posture.