The Guys We Fell In Love With

Prologue: The Guys We Fell in Love With

Lia's P.O.V.

If I could have imagined all of the things that would happen when me and Marie moved from our hometown to go attend UCSD (University of California San Diego) believe me, I would have never set foot out of that damn door.
Ever.
I regret so many things that happened, although some weren't even of my fault. This was our first year of college, and I had already sworn I would not fall into the typical irresponsible, college way of life. I am determined to accomplish my goals, and I can't do that while I'm wasted and unorganized.

I'm not a party girl, nor have I ever been.

I definitely did not work my butt off all through high school in order to go to college, and party it all away as if it meant nothing.

I worked so incredibly hard to earn my scholarship: there's no way I'm going to give that up carelessly just for the sake of some stupid parties.

I don't drink or smoke, or whatever the hell people these days do in order to convince their pathetic selves that they were as "cool" as everyone else.

To me that's cliché, something I swore to myself I never wanted to be. I don't feel that desperate need to fit in amongst a crowd and frankly I never have. I relish in the idea of standing out; I value a quality such as uniqueness, I think different is quite beautiful.

So I avoided it all: the crazy frat parties, the disgusting, drunk guys, and the overbearing dramatic girls in seek of attention. I didn't want to end up like every other person on this campus who fails their classes before the end of the first semester.

As for Marie, she was different than me but not in a bad way, she's social, outgoing and friendly. She seemed to enjoy the partying aspect that came along with college life, but she didn't forget to balance it with her school work; she was always a "seize the moment" kind of girl. Sometimes I wish I was able to do that, but while she enjoyed the limelight, I always shuddered away from it like a vampire about to get burned. I don't like attention, not even a little bit. That's probably why she found her perfect guy right away, basketball team captain and singer. I know it sounds like something straight out of High School Musical or Grease but it's completely true. And sadly I always tagged along as their embarrassing third wheel that they couldn't shake off. But that's who she was and well I was the exact opposite of that, with me being quiet, shy, and standoffish. To be quite honest I don't even remember that last time I let go and allowed myself the luxury of seizing a moment. I think the reason me and Marie got along so well was because we balanced each other out, and brought out the best in each other. She helped me have fun when I needed to and I was the one who helped her be responsible when she needed to be. When it came to best friends I must admit she's pretty great, and she's always there for me, always has been. So basically I won the lottery with her as my half sister, I mean yeah Dad is a cheat and all, but me and Mom got Marie as an outcome. Which I think we agree is much, much better than having our drunk, lying dad around all the time. We were happier without him; just us three girls, and mom raised us well.

But I didn't think I needed a guy to have a good time and be happy, at least I used to. That is until he came along.

There was something special about that boy, something that captivated me and my wild curiosity. From the first day I saw him staring intently at me with his beautiful, bright hazel eyes, he reeled me in like a helpless, struggling fish on a hook. His mystery was his best feature, and one I unfortunately, couldn't resist. I can't even say that I regret falling in love with him, it just kind of happened, it's not like I can un-love him by choice, because believe me, I tried everything. He came into my life and turned my world completely upside down. Yet still I would not change a single thing. He made me happier than I had ever dreamed of being. With him by my side all things left my mind, and for just a second it felt as if the world revolved around us, and everything felt perfectly amazing.