Chapter 10

The worst of ways was on its way. I was walking to Tay's new apartment approximately 2 weeks after my last date with Troye. It was warm and I was in skinny jeans and a tank top that read "Holmes" on the front. She lived about a mile away and I didn't have an Australian drivers license. I was walking when I recognize one of Troye's very good childhood friends named Kayla. I walked up to her expecting to give her a hug and to chat it up a bit. What happened was completely surprising and it killed me. 

"You know Troye is going to break up with you, right?" she said, matter-of-factly. I gaped wide at her and began to argue. She stopped me midsentence. "Don't speak. He doesn't like you anymore. He said he needs a girl who can stand up for herself. You know that those girls at the beach? Yeah, you just let them walk all over you. Like a sad little puppy, you're compliant to anyone says or tells you to do," The words stung, like a bee sting in the eye. 

"What? I thought that he just needed some space," I stuttered. 

"Nope. Sorry," Kayla says, walking away. I felt tears begin to sting my eyes as I ran in my torn converse up to Tay and Niall's apartment. I flung the door open and found Tay making lunch for us in the kitchen. I threw myself down on the table and started weeping, my head in my hands. 

"What happened?" Tay asks, obvious worry in her voice. 

"Kayla told me that Troye doesn't like me anymore," I said between sobs. 

"Don't you dare listen to her Kellie. Don't you dare!" 

"Why shouldn't I. She's probably right," I sighed. Tay rubbed my back, knowing not to argue any longer. She called Niall and told him to go out tonight. She turned on a CD from my favorite band and told me to give her my phone. I complied, just like Kayla said I would. 

"I'm going to call him and you're going to talk," I nodded after a few minutes of thinking about the idea. She found my contacts and dialled his number. He picked up on the 2nd ring. 

"I can't talk right now," He said, out of breath. 

"Why?" I asked. 

"I just can't. Have you been crying?" 

"Yes because Kayla said some pretty nasty things," 

"Kayla?"

"Yes Kayla. She said you were going to break up with me because I 'can't stand up for myself'," I said, doing airquotes to no one. 

"Actually, Kel. I was thinking about it," I gasped. "I ranted a bit to Kayla. She shouldn't have told you. I decided I wasn't though because that's a really stupid reason to break up with a girl," I sighed, relieved. "Why don't you..."

"No. You come to my dorm," I said. 

"Okay. I love you, babe." 

"Love you too. Bye," I hung up without waiting for a goodbye from him. I was furious. I can be confident. Sure I could. I could hang my head a little higher and fight for myself and my sanity. No. I couldn't. The kids in high school stole that from me. I thought Troye was that light at the end of the tunnel. The one who could save me from myself. My knight in shining armor. I haven't proved myself wrong yet. I'm weary now. He broke my walls and he's also the one that is forcing me, brick by brick, to build them back up.