Chapter 12

Jay woke in a fitful dream. He could hear the gunshots, the yelling, the explosions all around him. It was never ending. He could hear people yelling his name as he wildly glanced around the room fighting the covers he was tangled in. 

"Jay! Jay! You're ok," Erin said trying to grab his face to get him to look at her. His eyes were wild and she hated seeing him like this. "Jay! Look at me. You're safe. You're in Chicago Med. You're ok," she said rubbing his cheek as his eyes finally focused on her.

"Erin?" He said slowly catching his breath.

"Yea... that's it. It's me," she said relieved to see him calming down.

Will came in a few minutes later. "Y'all ok? We saw his heart rate spike," he said quietly looking everything over.

"Yea... bad dream," Erin said quietly.

"Got it," he said with a nod. "Are you feeling any side effects Jay?"

Jay shook his head no. He hated this off balance feeling and he was sick of it.

"Great. Once we're sure you're hydrated and the drug is out of your system, we'll let you go," Will said giving his arm a squeeze.

"Sounds good."

Erin's phone rang and she sighed silencing it.

"What is it?" Jay asked.

"Voight needs me."

"Go. I'm fine. Really," he said.

"Sure?" She asked leaning over giving him a kiss.

"Yea. I'll be outta here soon. Go," he said giving her smile so she knew he'd be ok.

"Call me when he's free," she said to Will. Will nodded and Erin headed to the station.

"Talk," Will said quietly sitting down by Jay's bed.

"What's there to say? He's an ass, and I hate the off balance feeling he gives me. I hate this Will! I'm over it," Jay said frustrated.

"Ok... ok so what do you want to do?"

"I dunno. I haven't thought that far ahead," he said rubbing his head. He had a slight headache and he just wanted some quiet to figure out his next move.

"Alright.... alright. Get some rest and I'll be back in a bit," he said giving his shoulder a squeeze as Jay just nodded.

The longer he laid there, the madder he got. He was a detective for crying out loud. He was done being his dad's punching bag. He was done. He carefully peeled the heart monitor off before slipping the iv out of his arm. He winced and put pressure on it to keep it from bleeding. He found his clothes and got dressed. He quickly slipped out the door before Will could notice.

"Hey. You busy?" Jay asked into his phone as he walked out of the hospital quickly.

"Yea. Come get me," he said again glancing around to make sure Will hadn't followed him.
.............................................................
"Dr. Halstead!" April yelled across the ED.

"What April?" He asked.

"It's Jay. He's gone," she said pointing to the empty room.

"Shit!" Will said running his hand through his hair.  He grabbed his phone and called Erin.

"Jay ready?" She answered.

"Jay's gone Erin. He's not with you?"

"No! Gone like as in he left?" She asked slightly panicked sharing a look with Hank.