chapter three: mine

Start from the beginning

Give me the suffering!

I thought, the goddess really has a way with faith, choosing a mate who wants to die, for a queen who causes nothing but deaths, without any care at all. But for the first time in my empty, lonely, haunting life, i was willing to do everything in my power to keep this one alive. Even if that meant that i lose mine.

12 am

It was a full moon as i sat on top of a hill. My shadow falling behind me as I searched for answers from the goddess by the moon. So many questions in my head, so little answers. So many fears and so little strength.

"A curious little one" A soft angelic voice rang in the silent night. The light radiating from the moon became whiter and brighter. I covered my eyes as the moon shined and a woman dressed in white appeared. Her beauty was beyond compare, her white dress flowed as the wind picked up, her skin pale yet soft, the moon goddess approached me. I bowed my head in respect.

"Moon Goddess" I mumbled before looking up once again. Selene smiled softly, knowing my confusion. "She is your mate, if you're still doubting it" She spoke confidently as i nodded my head. "You're scared because of it, right?" I wasn't surprised that she knew this as it was the biggest cause of my fear. "i'm scared of what might happen if i le-" She cut me off before i finished.

"My dear child, i gave her to you for a special reason. If you let fear get into your head, you might never know her purpose in your life. That girl has been through torture and so have you. Finding each other after these years, both of you can find calmness after all the all storm you have encountered" The moon goddess spoke each word so truthfully a tear escaped my eyes. "She is not the only one who is damaged"

I sighed sadly as i looked at her. "Choosing mates for werewolves are not mistakes, we see the love one has to offer and pair them with one who has more love to offer " She smiled before walking back and faced the moon that pulled her in. A distinct howl could be heard before i transform into my wolf and howled longingly which was soon followed by others.

———

A week later

"Everything needs to be in order for their arrival" I announced to Maximus as we walked side by side, my hands clapped on my back as i stood tall wearing my crown. I could see Maximus nod in my peripheral vision as he ordered everyone around in the ball room.

This friday night was the arrival of the Royals from other kingdom species. The vampire King and Queen would be attending and so will the Royal family of Witches. Every year a special night will be hosted by a particular Royal, a tradition where everyone could maintain peace, share their cultures and allaince if any war arise.

I could see helpers around me rushing to do their own tasks, more pressured by my presence. I made sure that everything is in order as i knew that our kingdom's strength and wealth will be judged by others, i have almost forgotten that i will be hosting the Gala of Kingdoms for this year.

Out of the corner of my eye, i could see her. The person who consumed my thoughts with every second, the cause of me forgetting about the Gala. I try not to turn my head to where she was and settled at looking at her through my peripheral vision. There was so much fear that overtook me every time i was near her, it only took a sniff of her scent to send me following her like a lost pup. I only watched her from a distance, too afraid what could happen if i ever stared at those damn eyes once again. i was weakened by them once, I couldn't repeat it. it was too dangerous even just being in the same room as her but no matter how much i fought it, i couldn't stop myself from facing her and admiring the way she was just standing. I saw her laugh slightly at what a girl told her and unconsciously clutched right my hand and balled them into a fist and i almost took a step forward but was interrupted when one of the guards shouted orders to which both girls became serious and caused my mate to looked down sadly. I balled up my fist even tighter that i swore they were pale at this point, it took a lot trying to resist myself from killing the guard who shouted at the girls, especially her.