Chapter 21

*1 week later*

"You've got to come back Lydia!" Lucy begged me.

"I'm not ready yet." I frowned.

"Please."

"Lucy, I need time."

"Okay-" she finally agreed. "So what happened after your dad dropped you off then?" she asked suddenly taking me off guard.

"Huh? I don't know what you're talking about?" I attempted to lie.

"Don't lie to me. Beau had a massive cut on his head, well under his hair anyway. Got up to a little something did you?" she winked.

"Shut up!" I giggled, punching her shoulder softly. Her bump was pretty big now, well I could balance a plate on it to be honest.

"You two will last!" she said confidently.

"You think?" I asked warily.

"Definitely! Plus I'd be buggered since his brother got me pregnant. I need you around." she laughed.

"Haha, oh yeah!"

"It should be you having the baby not me!"

"Well, you should've bought condoms or took the pill my lovely." my sarcasm spilling out.

"I know. I just wish Luke would take an interest in the baby. I don't care if he doesn't want anything to do with me, I just want him to be the father this little one deserves."

"I agree with you. He'll realise eventually."

"I hope so." she smiled weakly.

"Come on, let's go for the scan! I wanna see my niece or nephew!"

*******

We were sat in a small room waiting for the nurse. It was nice to not be in the "psycho" ward.

"Hello. I'm Jane. Let's take a look at the little one." the nurse grinned walking in.

"Hi." we both said in unison.

The room fell silent as we patiently waited. 

"Here we go! There's the head! And its little hands and feet." the nurse announced happily.

"That's awesome!" I said completely fascinated. A tear fell from Lucy's eye, but it was a happy tear. Her grin said it all.

*******

After picking up a few copies of the scan I offered to give her a lift home.

"You nervous?" Lucy asked breaking me from my thoughts.

"Huh? For what?"

"Going back there."

"I'm not going inside. I'm parking out front, watching you walk to the door then leaving." I sighed. I still couldn't do it.

"Please come in! I don't want to show everyone on my own!"

"Why?"

"I just don't want to." she replied a bit too quickly.

"You're afraid of Luke's reaction aren't you." I accused.

"Yep." she spoke quieter this time.

"Fine-" I finally gave in, "But as soon as someone says something about, you know what, I'm out." I added.

"Deal." she smiled and relaxed more.

Let it go came on the radio so we started to sing along to make the journey seem shorter.