Anatomy

You were in the research lab, taking a look at some DNA samples your landing party had collected yesterday on a new planet. You specialized in biology so this was a normal thing to you- looking at "new" living things and finding out what made them work. What exactly made them what they are. As you looked down the microscope, you heard the door to the room slide open. You stood up straight to see lieutenant commander Saru, the chief science officer of the ship you currently served on- the USS Shenzhou.

"Hello, commander," you said and nodded your head slightly as Saru waltzed over to your work station.

"Good morning, lieutenant. I see you're hard at work already." Saru stood beside you, tilting his head down to see you in-full. Saru, you see, was of a species known as the Kelpiens. Compared to humans, they were enormously tall. You stood a decent amount below shoulder height to the commander; something you found embarrassing but something that Saru didn't even seem to notice. You looked up to the taller man and gave him a smile.

"These samples are so intriguing, I just had to look at them. I would have yesterday, but the storm on that planet did me in pretty good," you chuckled a little. Saru nodded, giving a small sound of amusement.

"Yes, well, it's good to see you delving into work right away. We need more like you, lieutenant." Saru spoke as he gestured to the microscope, indicating that he wanted to take a look.

"Thank you, commander," you replied and sidled, allowing him to have space to look down the scope. Saru stepped in front of the microscope and peered down the glass with his piercing blue eyes. You watched him, studying his features. You had never seen a Kelpien- then again, no one else really had before- so seeing him up close was fascinating to a biologist like you. Saru's skin was a pale-pink colour, making you wonder if perhaps his whole species was of the same colouration. His ears were almost flat to the side of his head, and upon his whole face he had intricate ridges and crevices running along his flesh. Running directly from his ears, there were deeper crevices. These were apparently where his "threat ganglia" were located. You hadn't seen them for yourself, but you heard others that usually worked on the Bridge talking about them one day. They sounded fascinating- you had to see them for yourself.

"You're quite right, lieutenant, these samples are very intriguing," Saru inferred as he straightened up from the microscope.

"...Lieutenant?" The Kelpien tiled his head at you, snapping you out of your staring. You hadn't realized you had been looking at him for so long. A blush was felt creeping upon your cheeks.

"S-sorry, commander, I just..." You trailed off. You didn't want to seem like you were judging him or anything, because you really weren't. You were simply interested in his anatomy. Interacting with alien species had always been a difficult thing for you, you didn't quite know how to handle a situation like this even after going to Starfleet Academy, where there were hundreds of aliens attending. Saru tilted his head in the opposite direction, seemingly confused with you.

"...Lieutenant, if you are having an issue with me, feel free to-"

"No, no commander, it's just that, well," trying your best to not sound weird, you continued, "you have very interesting anatomy."

To your surprise, the commander did not take issue with your statement. He simply nodded, straightening his back.

"Ah, yes, I've gotten that a lot since attending Starfleet Academy. Especially among us scientists. It is alright, lieutenant, do not feel bad about feeling this way," Saru comforted you, with you nodding in response. Feeling relieved that you had avoided a possibly-awkward moment, you smiled.

"Um, sorry for interrupting you earlier as well, commander..." You looked down to the floor. Saru pat your shoulder a little.

"Again, lieutenant, do not feel bad. I understand. You humans are a very curious species, yet you are also so... Quick to avoid certain situations, much like how you did now. I completely understand this," Saru spoke as he stepped around the lab. You turned to face him, watching him walk.