"Here's the deal," she said, getting down to business as she placed her hands flat against the table. "Thorin values this stone above all else." The words tasted bitter on her tongue, but it was the truth. "Bard, we give this to you in hopes that you will offer its exchange for the share of the treasure you are owed. And Thranduil -- those jewels are yours, and I have returned it to you in hopes that you will rescind your declaration of war."

Bard nodded and turned to the elf beside him. "I think we should agree to this," he told him. "Thorin will most likely give the gold in exchange for this stone, and you've already got what you wanted. There's no need for war."

"Actually," Davina spoke up again before Thranduil could respond, "there is still going to be a war... Just one that elves and dwarfs will fight on the same side of."

"Ah." Thranduil pursed his lips. "I believe you are speaking of the army of orcs Mithrandir has spoken of."

"Not just orcs. Goblins, wargs, were-worms... even ogres," she informed him. "And if we don't all unite and fight them together, I fear the casualties will be much larger than need be."

His gaze narrowed thoughtfully. "You have had visions of this battle?"

"Yes." Davina was careful to push aside thoughts of the Durin sons, attempting to keep her emotions in check as she spoke. She swallowed thickly. "Look -- I know how you feel about Thorin and the rest of the dwarfs. But there are bigger things to be addressed than some bad blood between two stubborn rulers; and that's coming from me, one of the most stubborn people around." Bilbo and Gandalf nodded, as if to say, she has a point. "I've returned your jewels, like you wanted. All I ask in return is that you direct your troops to the army on the horizon instead of the dwarfs in that mountain."

"You would sacrifice the trust your husband-to-be has in you, and betray him, so readily?" Thranduil asked. 

"In doing so, I am saving his life," Davina responded without missing a beat. Her gaze was defiant and determined as she met his cold eyes without hesitance. "And I would sacrifice everything I have in order to do that."

"Well, I am sorry to disappoint you, but --"

"What if it were Gwendolyn up in that mountain, suffering from the dragon-sickness and facing certain death?" She demanded. His expression immediately faltered. "Forgive me if I am over-stepping my boundaries... but if it were your love up there, would you not do the same as me? In hopes that her life could be saved?"

Thranduil's nostrils flared in annoyance, but his eyes reflected a brief flash of the grief that he always carried with him due to the death of his wife. After a long moment of silence, he huffed and held out his hand. "You have my allegiance."

Davina shook his hand gratefully, then turned to Bard, who held out his to shake as well. "And you have mine," he said.

"You know," Thranduil mused, his mouth twisting up into a smirk. "I daresay you may make a great Queen for the King Under the Mountain when this is all over."

Her response had not been anything like he had expected. There was no sharp quip, nor even a flush of her cheeks or perhaps a thank-you. Instead, there was a certain type of sadness in her eyes as she looked away. 

"When this is all over," she admitted quietly, "I do not think Thorin will have me as his Queen at all."

⇜ – ⇝

By morn, Davina and Bilbo had already slipped away from the 'watchful' eye of Alfrid and returned to Erebor, despite Gandalf's insistence they steer clear of Thorin's eventual wrath. They had a duty to the Company, and they would not turn their backs on them; even if it meant they might come to harm because of it.