Chapter 4: Maven's Desires

I relaxed a bit as Maven walked towards the exit. He was one step away from the door when he stopped. When he turned to me, his eyes had taken on a new radiance. His features popped out at me, like I'd never seen them before. He looked the like the old Maven, the boy I was once in love with. If I dare say it he looked...handsome.

What's wrong with me?

I snapped out of my awful fantasy, and when I did Maven was back to the hideous monster that I knew he was. His innocent gaze had fallen away, back to his true colors.

“So that’s how you really feel about me.” He smirked.

“What?” I growled.

“Oh nothing, just a bit of new technology that allows me to enter your deepest feelings and subconscious mind. And it appears that I am quite handsome in your eyes.”

I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could even begin I was cut off.

“Why do you resist me Mare? It’s obvious that you love me as much, or even more, than I love you. So why put these feelings aside? Is it because you want to look like a hero in the eyes of the reds? You don't want to look like a traitor just because you're in love with a silver?”

By this time my mouth was hanging wide open. He’s insane. I could barely grasp what he was saying. Do I really love him or was he just playing mind games? Something about this entire set-up seemed wrong to me. The way Maven was carrying himself, the way he was speaking. It was different. I couldn't put my finger on it but something was different. I just knew it. He's planning something malicious.

The beast in front of me continued his little speech but I didn't hear any of it. I was too focused on his face. I had completely focused all of my energy on my sight, so much that all my other senses had been lowered. I memorized the curve of his nose, the color of his pale cheeks, the pink of his lips. Anything to distract me from his terror. Then I noticed a device attached to Maven's ear. A tiny light shone from it, but it was there nonetheless. Someone must be on the other line, telling Maven what to say.

A wide smirk broke out across my face. The fact that Maven thought an electric device could evade my senses made me want to burst out into laughter. The prince stopped talking and frowned when he saw my change of expression.

“What's so funny?”

“Only the fact that you're so pathetic that you can't even come in here on your own and talk to me. Who is it telling you what to say? Elara? I bet she's telling you every word to say, you coward."

Maven’s face had turned from confused to mildly amused.

“What's so funny?” I hissed.

“Only the fact that you thought you thought I could be so ignorant,” He said in a mocking tone as he reached behind his head to detach the tiny, glowing device from his ear.

“This, my darling, is merely the Wave, the device that allowed me to access your thoughts earlier.” He smiled and took a step towards me. “Don't look so hurt,  love. You were right about one thing. Elara and I did...collaborate on a few things."

My expression must have given me away, because he smirks and continues to lecture me.

"I see that you're confused, let me enlighten you. You see, as long as I bring you to her for questioning and do as she says, then you'll be all mine. All mine forever. And our love can truly blossom. You will be my Red queen.”

Maven had an insane look in his eye. It was the most frightening look I'd ever gotten. Before I could even react Maven was standing right in front of me. I jumped back, nearly hitting my head on the wall. I tried to put my hand up to block my face as Maven hopped on the bed. The look of hunger in his eyes were stronger than that of a wolf who had missed a meal, and for a second I thought he was going to kill me. That was, until he started to lean in. His eyes shut and he pressed a hard kiss to my lips, pinning my arms and head against the wall.

I summoned all of the strength I had in my body to turn and push him away. I wiped my tongue and lips on my shirt as hard as I could, praying that I could purge the sensation from my mouth. When I looked up, the look of hunger had returned to Maven's eyes. I closed my eyes, unsure of what was about to happen, and said a silent prayer. I wished that Maven wouldn't hurt me.