B I T T E R S W E E T

Start from the beginning

And that's just this week. I don't know how we made it here for the past two years.

Jenny Chang, widely known for her cold, indifferent attitude, started hanging out with us about a year ago. That shocked everyone, even us to be honest. I don't know what drew her to us. The fact that we both were in dark places at the time and she wanted to relate to people like that might've been the reason but I'm not sure. She's almost unreadable to most, it's hard to understand her motives and reasons to why she does things. She was ruthless and prodigious in training and in the field and had no friends that we knew of back then.

Even now, other than us, I don't think she does.

Kayla is more social than us both, but back then she didn't talk to anyone ... but me. I remember the day we actually talked; I was crying and sobbing my heart out in a bathroom-stall, reminiscing about my time with my old friends. Kayla was outside and had apparently heard me.

She didn't even wait.

She kicked the door open and came storming in, scaring the hell out of me. I almost turned my skin to low quality steel (from the toilet) when she had wrapped her arms around my shaking shoulders in a warm hug. I was confused and wanted to push her away.

Strangely I hadn't. I just cried even harder, soaking her shirt's shoulder; she held me and didn't ask a single question as we both sank to the dirty bathroom floor. I kept thinking God this girl smells so nice, why can't everyone be like her and not questions about if I'm ok, when I'm clearly not and just freaking hold me as I break down.

I also remember thinking. Thank God I sat with the toilet seat shut.

We all aren't as much as social with the rest of the people in LunaDelt. We're friendly to those who are nice to us or wanna talk but indifferent and cold to assholes that don't deserve a breath they're taking. Who tried their very best to make us feel like crap.

"Have you no shame?" cries Kayla in a faux-hysterical way as she waves her arms at me as I work the elliptical. "You talk of threesomes in the presence of Jenny Chang the Moon Goddess. Her poor virgin ears cannot bear to hear of su—"

"Before you lose some vital bones," Jenny says, her breathing even as she runs at a high speed without breaking a sweat, I glare at her enviously. "I suggest you not finish that sentence."

Despite her cold exterior, Jenny is a warm, mushy, marshmallow inside. And Kayla is a total badass even with her weird sense of humor and bright smile.

But me? I don't know what I am anymore. It's true that I keep up with both of them, externally I look and seem the same as I had years ago and I participate in every thing that happens. I even never lost my sense of humor.

Just that I lost everything else.

We work out for another hour on different machines till tides of other people come washing in to the Workout Hangar, that's what we call it. We take that as our cue to leave. Most of them ignore us this time, but some sneak glances.

I resist the urge to snap at them. This isn't high school, for God's sake. Grow the heck up all of you. You aren't being potty trained, you're being refurbished to become WARRIORS to help and protect those all those who are suffering under the tyranny of the Reestablishment. So act like it and be proud of it.