B I T T E R S W E E T

Start from the beginning

Kayla grabs a towel from one of the benches and wipes her face. I take off my boots and let myself cool down before I drink some water. The building used to be a plane hangar years ago, now they've turned it into a training center where teens and adults exercise and train before they go to their weekly Simulation classes. It's size is gargantuan compared to the Simulation Centre. Which itself was located directly twenty feet below the Hangar, the entrance trapdoor located at one of the corners.

I don't exactly know how they got a Hangar underground in the first place.

The whole LunaDelt setup is underground, underneath the exterior of a wasteland. The solar flares and radiations had not been kind when they hit the surface all those years ago. But now we can use that as a cover up to make sure no one comes near the surface. It's supposedly radioactive but some of our people can manipulate radioactivity and not let it reach underground. Even when we go on missions, they have to change the radiations course so we could move on the surface.

Kayla looks at me, her dark eyes twinkling.

"You ain't half bad." She says.

"Rich coming from you."

"Aw come on." She playfully punches my shoulder. "You know I'm better. It keeps the competition interesting."

I don't appreciate the jab, so I grab her wrist fisted near my shoulder and twist it to her back and when my other arm goes around her, she's completely immobilized. She lets out a surprised squeak. I feel all the more happy when her face bursts into angry flames near my own face.

She sputters. "What the f—"

"Am I interrupting something?" We both startle at the voice, lazily drawling near the door on the far left of the gym.

Jenny stands, leaning against a wall with a hand on her hip, her face utterly unamused. She's wearing a black top and leggings, her sneakers brown and worn. Her form is shorter than average but many times leaner and stronger; it's mostly above average.

"Yeah, Chang." Kayla snorts. "We're making a porn video. Care to join?"

I bark out a laugh and let go of her wrist and move towards the elliptical, chuckling under my breath. Jenny rolls her eyes and climbs on a treadmill. She's used to Kayla and her fanatical ways. So am I ... but I'll never get enough of it to placate the hole in me. I hope I never have to be without it.

"You think I'd actually sink low enough to take part in your ridiculous activities?" Jenny says, turning the machine on. Her initial steps are slow and long.

"The more, the merrier." I chirp.

Kayla almost topples to the ground when she understands the innuendo. The dirty look Jenny sends me, makes me realize that she didn't miss it either.

We're mostly early to the complex, at about 5 AM on weekdays. This way we can avoid most of people staring at us, bitching about us or even sending us strange looks when we walk past them.

Kayla and I had been a subject of huge gossip this whole month. After nearly breaking an arm of a guy who tried grabbing Kayla's butt and receiving a huge scolding from our trainers—everyone stayed well out of my way.

Kayla broke the nose of a girl who was spreading viscous rumors about me and almost broke three fingers of someone who called her a slut.