Multiple Meetings

"It's bedtime," I said to Casey after a quick glance at the time. She huffed and brushed the doll's hair one last time.

"Can you tell me the story of how you and Mama met?"

"Sure," I laughed, and ran my hand over the braid in her hair, and redid the hair tie at the end.

"You sure you want the story of how Mama and I met?" I asked, "It's kinda scary."

Casey giggled, "No it's not.."

"It was scary for me you know? I came home from work. It was a Wednesday, and it was pouring down rain. I'll never forget those details. I was drenched because I'd forgotten my umbrella, and I walk up to my house and I went to put the key in the lock, and the window in the door was broken. I didn't really know what to do, so I just sat down on the step and called the police."

"And Mama worked for the police, even way back then? Before you met her?" Casey asked.

"That's right dear." I said, "Your Mama worked for the police even way back then. So I called the police, told the dispatcher I'd just got home from work and that it looked like someone had broken into my house and I didn't want to go in. The police showed up after a few minutes, and they asked me a few questions. I let them in the house and they took a look around, asked me if anything was missing. I noticed a couple of things and told them so. So the officers that were there called for the k9 unit."

"That's the police doggies!" Casey exclaimed. "I know them all!"

"Yep." I said, "That's the police dogs. So they called the K-9 unit and that's when your mom arrived. She got out of the car and was all serious looking, her hair was pulled back in a bun. She was the prettiest woman I'd ever seen. She took my breath away. She went to the back of her car and got the dog out, and brought it up on the porch. She introduced herself and then had her dog sniff around."

"I was Anya, right??" Casey asked, a yawn interrupting her.

"It was, it was on her very first night as your Mama's police dog," I said.

I paused a moment, and continued, "Your Mama and Anya worked really hard to help me though. Anya traced the smell through the house, into the alleyway and Anya started barking at the house a few doors down, and the other police were able to get a picture of someone breaking my door from my neighbour's security camera. The next day the police called me back and said they'd made an arrest and had recovered my stolen items and I'd get them back in a couple weeks."

"When did you and Mama really meet if you didn't talk?" Casey asked.

"I met Mama for real a few months later, I had started teaching and the school had invited the police to come visit all the classes. Your Mama and Anya visited my class and told us how Anya was trained. Anya came right up to me and sniffed me because she remembered me. When Mama was done we had lunch in the staffroom, and I thanked her for when her and Anya investigated the break-in at my house.."

Casey snored softly. I glanced at my watch and had a few minutes and sat with her for a few minutes before I got up and made my way downstairs.

I heard the key in the lock and smiled. "Hey, babe," I said, as my wife walked in the door.

"Hey hun," Jane replied with a tired smile. "Casey off to sleep?"

"Mmmhmm. She wanted the story of how we met tonight." I said. "Told her about when I first saw you, when you were investigating the break-in. Told her you were the prettiest woman I'd ever seen."

Jane giggled, "Of course I'm the prettiest woman you've met, you married me, didn't you? Casey fall asleep before our first date? She always does for me."

"Yep, she fell asleep somewhere around when we met in my classroom." I said, "Did you get Anya set up in her kennel for the night?"

"Course I did. It was her last night on the job." Jane said, "Casey's going to be so excited that Anya doesn't have to work now and can play with her every day. I'm a little sad though. I'll miss having her at my side every day. Especially since she brought us together."

"Anya did good. She deserves her retirement." I said, "She caught the guy who broke into my house, and made sure we talked after your presentation."

END