Chapter 6 | Final Chapter

I said this was a short story. cx

Chapter 6

       Every other hour, the three of us would come across some kind of obstacle, a lot of them being quite fatal. At least there was nothing as worse as that bear for me to handle, though I couldn't be too sure if another bear would come back.

       I really hoped it wouldn't.

       On the bright side, we were quite close to making it out of The Wicked Trial.

       On the not-so-bright side, we came across two more skeletons, both of them being not too far apart from each other. Seeing the skeletons, people I knew, made me a lot more furious with our fort for making The Wicked Trial. There really was no point in it.

       "How long have we been walked for since the last obstacle?" Lance asked. "I feel like we're due for another one soon."

       "I don't know," I said. "All I know is that we're almost out of the trial. I recognize this part of the forest, and I see the train tracks. We just have to keep walking beside it to stay on track."

       "Ha, puns," Lance said.

       I just rolled my eyes and we kept walking down the path. I was the one in the lead, but Arcadia quickened her pace so she could walk beside me. "How are you feeling?" she asked.

       "You know, the same," I said. "Angry, frustrated, annoyed..."

       "I'm talking about what happened with that bear," Arcadia said. "You've been a bit more reserved ever since it... you know. Died."

       "I'm fine about that," I said. "I'm over it."

       "It's fine if you're not," Arcadia said. "There's nothing wrong with feeling sympathetic to a creature, even if it did try killing you. It shows that you're different from everyone."

       "Which I shouldn't be," I said.

       Arcadia sighed. "Grimm, I think it's pretty clear to everyone that you're not a normal Wicked. In fact, sometimes, it doesn't even seem like you are a Wicked."

       "Maybe he's adopted," Lance said.

       "He's not adopted," Arcadia said. "Not everyone ends up exactly like their parents. Grimm is just one of the very few people who aren't afraid to be himself."

       "I just think there's more than meets the eye," Opal said. "Like I said yesterday, Grimm is special and we all know that. There's definitely more to it."

       "Alright, what are you going on about?" Lance asked.

       "He's the only sorcerer of our generation," Opal said. "His parents took the serum that should have stopped them from passing their magic onto him. They took it, and it didn't work on him, yet it worked for Arcadia."

       "I wish I was a sorcerer," Lance said. "Life would be easier."

       "Trust me, being a sorcerer does not make life easier," I said. "If anything, it makes things worse. My parents expect a lot more from me just because I'm the only sorcerer of the generation. I just need to get away from them."

       "I know how you can," Arcadia said, which caused me to stop in my tracks and look at her with furrowed eyebrows. It took me a while to understand what she was talking about and when I did, I just kept walking down the path.

       Would it be worth it?

       "Oh my... Look!" Lance said, pointing ahead. "It's the train station!"