Chapter 3

Chapter 3

       I got absolutely no sleep during the night. We had no idea what to expect during the trial, which was why I forced myself to stay awake, especially because I offered to take the first shift of staying awake. I just didn't other waking up the others to take their shift, and they all stayed asleep the whole night.

       Arcadia was the first one to wake up, which was right at sunset. She sat up and rubbed her eyes before looked at me sitting on the fence of the front porch while I just played around with my magic. "Did you get any sleep?" she asked.

       "Nope," I said. "I was on guard all night."

       Arcadia sighed. "Grimm, that's not fair on you. You should have woken one of us up. You're going to be really tired for the trial."

       "I'll be fine," I said. "I don't need sleep and if anything, we'll just find somewhere to nap if we get too tired."

       Lance and Opal woke up too, almost at the same time. They both were upset that I didn't wake any of them up during the night to stay on guard, but I didn't care too much.

       Honestly, I was a bit paranoid. I was afraid something could have attacked us during the night, and I had a better chance of stopping it, even for a quick second, while everyone else woke up to hide.

       Thankfully, none of that happened but you could never be too careful.

       "I say we start heading out on the trial," I said. "Better get it done and over with."

       "I really don't like how confident you are with this," Opal said. "Aren't you the tiniest bit scared?"

       "Not really, no," I said. "Paranoid, I'll admit, but not scared. We can handle whatever the trial throws at us."

       "Nobody else was," Opal said. "What makes a difference if we are able to?"

       "Numbers? There's four of us, and was only one of them. Besides, all of them might not be dead like the guy in the cabin. They could have found a new place to live, because screw the whole Wicked verse Moral crap."

       "Grimm...." Arcadia began.

       "What?" I asked. "It's stupid that every single person in Peyetia is expected to be exactly who their parents are. People fear me just because Mom and Dad are the most wicked people ever. Have I ever caused harm to everyone? No. Do I want to? No."

       "We should really start heading out," Lance said as he stood up from the porch. 

       Everyone was always so touchy about the Wicked verse Moral subject. Nobody liked it when I called it out for being stupid, and I seemed to be the only one who had the guts to call it out.

       "Lance, come on," I said as he started walking on the path we were following before we got to the cabin. "You're telling me you're completely fine following in the footsteps of your parents?"

       "Yes," Lance said, turning to face me. "I don't see what the big deal is. And face it Grimm, you are like your parents."

       "Don't compare me to them," I said, hopping off of the fence. "You think I enjoy hurting people like they do? You think I enjoy this stupid trial? I don't. The only thing that makes me like them is my appearance and my magic. Other than that, I am nothing like them."

       "Right," Lance said sarcastically.

       "Can you two not argue right now?" Arcadia asked. "We're going to have to work together, and it definitely is going to mess things up if you won't get along."