School's Out

Mr. Hasson, the math genius; Judith, and Petra, the lunch ladies; and Natalia, who almost got her neck bitten off if it weren't for the pan, and the knife the lunch ladies were working with before this school got hit with the virus, and I were all crouching behind the bleachers of the gym.

We were watching our classmates in between the small opening of the bleacher steps. They all walked clumsily, bumping into each other, and jerking their head this way and that. Their eyes were plain white which made it easy to detect the ultra thin purple, and black veins that mapped the corner of their eyes.

I shuddered, remembering an encounter with some earlier. Sweat trickled down my temple. We didn't know all of the facts about them but just the one that engraved itself into our minds–one bite, say goodbye.

"What's the plan?" I desperately asked Hasson.

"Why're you asking me?" He pushed his glasses up to the bridge of his nose with his index.

"You're the math professor, I think you could muster up an escape plan." We kept our tones at a whisper. He looked down to his pen he had been using to fight them off earlier.

"Well they're attracted to noise, so if I throw this pen over there, we distract them and make a run for it."

We nod in agreement, and a second later, the pen goes flying towards the opposite way of the exit, and we go running.