Part Two

Next Friday, when Reyna came through the door, Peter already had the sunflowers ready and in his hands. Not only did Elias come every Friday, he also showed up at noon like clockwork. One thing Peter could say about the man was that he was very consistence. This time, Peter prepared exactly what he was going to say to Reyna. "Now," Peter demanded, "I don't want a lecture. It's not like I greet every customer. Elias is no different-"

"You don't pay me enough to be your therapist," Reyna sighed and took the flowers, but she didn't leave. She said, "Elias also wants a bouquet of roses."

"Roses?" Peter straightened, eyeing the door. He couldn't see Elias from here. "For who?"

"I didn't ask," Reyna shrugged, seemingly disappointed as she stroked one of the leaves. "It's not my business. He said they need to be red."

"Red?"

"What? Are you a parrot, today?"

"Oh, uh sorry," Peter mumbled as she walked back out. He sucked in his lips and walked to one of the many fridges lining the back wall. Of course, he had roses at the ready. One vase, in particular, was carved, covered in ivory white roses. He arrived at the door, but his hands forgot how to work. He couldn't get them to move and pick up the vase. His brow narrowed and he asked himself a loaded question. "What is wrong with you? Why do you care if he buys red roses? You don't even talk to him!"

"This is stupid," he muttered and grabbed the bouquet and before he knew it, he walked right out of his workshop. He stood on the dangerous sales floor, away from the safety of his workbench. Here he was out in the open, vulnerable. It wasn't until he saw Elias that Peter realized what he'd done. There was no escaping now. He looked at Reyna, whose whole face brightened like she just tuned into her favorite soap opera.

Before he could escape, Peter laid the flowers down on the counter while Reyna waved Elias over. "Elias! I have your flowers!" Suddenly, Peter became painfully aware of his dirty jeans and the hole at the bottom of his button up. He never had to dress for the front. Still, Peter tried fingering his hair to give it some hint of style.

"Thank you," Elias smiled and hurried to the register. He was already reaching for his wallet. "I really appreciate it."

"Hey, Elias," Peter spoke up, lamely. He crossed his arms, unsure what to do with his hands. "How are things-"

"Sorry, I'm in a rush," he interrupted, picking out a couple of bills. Peter felt like he just tripped down the stairs in this conversation.

"Oh."

"It'll be twenty-four thirty-eight," Reyna said with a tight smile. She gave Peter an apologetic look when Elias started fishing for change. A few rebellious strands of hair swept across Elias' forehead. It was fascinating, the mix of gray and brown on such a young face. Despite the cuts and the scars and the exhaustion, Elias had lots of time left.

As soon as they exchange the receipt, Elias was out the door. Peter didn't even blink.

After a moment of silence, Reyna made up an excuse, "he's just in a hurry. I swear he's not usually like that-"

"I know," Peter sighed. He spied the clock on the wall. The day had only begun, but Peter's legs felt like they were filled with cement. "He only acts like that around me."

The rest of the day, Peter put on his headphones and drowned out the world. He refused to think because that would lead to overthinking and Peter really couldn't imagine digging an even deeper grave for himself. He'd end up inside the core the earth.

#

"Delphine?" Peter spoke up. He sat on the edge of Delphine's desk, watching her work. He changed out of his work clothes, something more appropriate for a nice dinner: his dark blue pants, gray sweater, and a simple white undershirt. He managed to convince his hair to hold some sort of style. However, he could never shake the smell of dirt and flowers from his skin.