Chapter Fourteen: Coming Clean In Bed

Start from the beginning

       "And?"

       I sighed, coming out clean, "And I hid my name because I am the daughter of the astronauts, Dr. Sam Holt and Matthew Holt, whom went to the Kerberos space mission but never returned."

        "Wait, what?! Your the daughter?!" Your the daughter of that popular missing case from two years ago?!" Shiro spoke loudly, shocked. The man was tensed, just can't believe he was dating someone that was related to that accident. From the news, it said they were killed out in space from error and he still believes it till this day.

"...They're dead?" Shiro whispered, in question and confusion . 'What a horrible incident! And Katie's right in the middle of it!' Shiro thought.

        I shake my head, "No."

"But the news--"

"Let me finish. You'll get to hear my side of the story on why I don't think they are dead. Anyways, I hid my birth name so the public wouldn't find me and attack me by wanting answers of how I'm feeling or what I'm thinking of from all of this mess. My mother went into a break down and has been sick ever since their disappearance so she never went out in public after that. And by that, she didn't have to worry about the people. But in order to keep this place going and have food in our bellies, I couldn't hide. I needed to work. Therefore, I took over my mother's family business, the flower shop, and worked there ever since...."

I paused, thinking of my words before speaking again, continuing my story more softly, "And what really upsets me is how the public just simply marks them "dead" without any true evidence that they were dead. Ya, they "investigated" but they just thought up some stupid reason on why they "died". And that reason was, "pilot error". Like seriously? My brother and father worked well as a team and never fought, meaning that no pilot error should have happened between each them. There could be spacecraft error but why didn't the investigators or news people say that instead? Because they don't know. There's no spacecraft evidence that the ship would break down or tear apart; this simply pisses me off."

Shiro stayed quiet, listening to my story with ever most detail. I could tell he was interested, wanting to know both sides of the story before judging. I spoke again, "Also, the space program investigated for a week and dropped the case, saying "they couldn't find anything. They somehow cannot be tracked". Ever since then, I still think the investigators are lying. I think my family is still alive.... They have to be alive. I know my brother and father. And since it was my brothers first mission, it would be depressing to find him actually each up dead from the mission he prepared for for so many years. I was even there when they took off. I gave them both a hug and wished them the best of luck... But I guess wishing luck doesn't happen, right?"

I start to tear up, "I can't believe how the world would just give up on them just like that! My father and brother worked hard and received so much respect from the space program that they should be searched more longer. They were special to the program and they were special to me. They made my life so much happier. I just miss them so much."

"Did the space program fund the funeral?" Shiro carefully asked. I nodded, sniffling softly, "Ya but I denied the request. My mother couldn't think at the moment so I had to make the decision. She would probably want it but I refuse because I have to know the whole story from the space program to know if they are really alive or not. A couple charities raised up some money for the missing, handing me around $100,000 but I spent it all to get ride of the debt. I found out four years ago that my family were in super deep debt in sending my brother into the space program. And I knew my mother and I had to pay it off someday so I decided to do that to the money."