Coils of a Serpent Part 2

Chapter 2: Coils of a Serpent Part 2

THE RELIGIOUS SPIRIT

A python is also known to coil their large muscular body around their prey gradually applying pressure, however by suffocation rather than crushing any ribs. The spirit of Divination (The spirit of Python) is also known as the religious spirit. It exhibit the same characteristic of a constrictor snake. This spirit works strategically to counterfeit or discredit the truth of God's word.

Why didn't Paul rebuke the religious spirit heretical doctrine in Act 16: 16-18 much earlier when approach by the damsel constant cries? The main emphasis of Paul's ministry was to bring the good news of salvation through Christ Jesus. According to Acts 16: 6-10, Paul was led by the Holy Spirit to minister to the people of Macedonia through a prophetic vision. When Paul was passing by Mysia to Troas he receives a vision. In his vision, he saw a man of Macedonia, pleading for him, to '...Come over into Macedonia, and help us!'

In a city with pagan practices and the worship of false deities, Paul's ministry of the gospel sparked a new revolution for Truth. They were not ready for the full force of God's word because it contradict their common belief system, ...For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil (Hebrews 5:13-14). It takes constant growth in the word of God. The damsel possessed with the spirit of divination began to publicly announce of the heretical doctrine, "These men are the servants of the Most High God, which shew unto us the way of salvation." Therefore Paul privately 'turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.' If Paul had openly rebuke the religious spirit in a society unlearn of God's power, the people would have exalt Paul in a position only Jesus Christ is worth of. 

The religious spirit had challenge Paul's ministry, and self-exalted itself above God. It was the demon's mission to discredit Jesus Christ, as the anointed Messiah and Saviour of the world. 1 John 4:3 says 'Beloved, believe not every spirit... And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is the spirit of Antichrist, where of ye have heard that it should come, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already it is in the world.'

The religious spirit works continuously against the church of God. It target believers to take away the word of God from our life. These are genuine facts about the religious spirit we should consider:

1. The Religious Spirit draws men from glorify and enjoyment of Christ. James 4:8 says 'Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.' 

2. The Religious Spirit cause confusion and division. 1 Corithians 14:33 says, 'For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.' 

3. The Religious Spirit deceives the common believer with miraculous signs and wonder. Matthew 24:24 says, 'For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.'

4. The Religious Spirit perverse biblical truth about the scriptures and draws men from truth. Acts 20:30 says, 'Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.'

5.The Religious Spirit is usually the influence of false prophets. Matthew 7: 15-20 says, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.  A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them. 

6. The Religious Spirit teaches  deceitful false doctrines. 1 Timothy 4:1 says, ' Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.

7. The religious spirit emphasis on traditions of men. Colossians 2:8 says, 'Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.'

8. The Religious Spirit discredit Jesus Christ sacrifice and His Resurrection. 1 John 4: 10 says, 'In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.' Matthew 28: 5-8 says, "And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.

9. The Religious Spirit is the false Holy Spirit. 1 John 3: 24 and 1 John 4: 1-3 says 'And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit which confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit which does not confess Jesus is not of God. This is the spirit of antichrist, of which you heard that it was coming, and now it is in the world already.