f o u r

"finn?" you knocked on his door and slightly opened it.
"can i come in?" you asked through the crack in the door opening.
"go away, y/n. i need some time alone."
"finn, you've been alone for three hours! can we just talk, please?" you raised your voice.
he didn't respond.
"you know what, okay, yeah, be like that. i'm coming in."
"finn, i don't know why you're so upset. i thought you didn't even like lexi. but, i'm sorry. this is all my fault." you told him.
"it's not about that." he whispered.
"then what is it?" you asked him.
"y/n, you're the only person i can ever trust. promise not to tell anyone?"
"yeah, i- i swear."
he lifted his head and looked up at you.
"it's just... lexi's so active in school and outside of school. she does community service, she always gets good grades. and she's been under the impression that i'm such a good guy. but now..." his voice cracked. "now she doesn't even trust me anymore. she's so popular at school. imagine all the people she's gonna tell. everyone's gonna think i'm a jerk. and i don't want people thinking that." his voice was hoarse.
"oh, finn." you placed your arm around his shoulder.
"finn, please, please don't worry. there will always be me. i'll never, ever look at you like that. i went through all of this with you. and i'll do whatever i can to make sure people don't think of you like that. and i mean it."
"would you really do that?" he asked you, wiping tears away.
"of course." you hugged him tighter.
"thanks." he said, a smile creeping on his face.
you let a silence pass before talking again.
"but what was it like? you know... to be loved? since... my first boyfriend was terrible to me." you asked him.
"it's- it's a great feeling. you never get the same feeling from anything else. this one person is the only thing on your mind. it's- it was... wonderful. i'm sure you'll find someone one day." he told you.
"thank you, finn. i hope i find someone, too."
"trust me. you will."
you smiled.
"so what are you gonna tell lexi?" you asked him after a while.
"i'm gonna break up with her."
"really?"
"yeah. i mean, i know i want to be seen with her, but when i actually got to know her, it wasn't too good. and if it's affecting me, i realized it's not worth being with her."
"okay. but are you gonna find someone else to make her jealous or anything? or are you just gonna stay single for now?"
"um... i-" he paused.
"what is it?"
"can i ask you something?"
"yeah, of course, finn. anything."
"would you pretend to be my girlfriend? i like the idea of making lexi jealous."
you laughed. "sure. why not. let's give her what she deserves."
he smiled at you.
you never get the same feeling from anything else. his voice echoed in your head.

you stood up from his bed.
"so, um, i'm gonna go home. good luck with your breakup. i'll... see you at school tomorrow?"
he nodded. "yeah, thanks."
"bye." you said.
he waved at you.
you walked out of his room and walked back to the guest room. you grabbed all your things and slipped on your shoes. you walked down the stairs, waving bye to nick as you exited the house.
you arrived at your house and happily danced around your room. no more lexi. no more jealousy. just you and finn.