Prologue

Time was running out too quickly. 

I choked back a sob and embraced the two warm, small yet still frail bodies that looked around the flame-filled night with horrified eyes, holding them both close to my heart. I took one deep breath, and then two, and then I withdrew. Pursing my lip, I placed them gently on my lap and extended my hands outwards, summoning the magic needed in order to open two stable yet small portals. 

I lifted my first daughter up and gently ushered her inside, watching as the amethyst swirls accepted her with a heavy heart. Her destination was a place I knew was safe but I could only hope that she would be able to survive. She was very gifted, I felt that, however I could only hope that she did not spite me for this. My second child I transported to a place I knew very well. Unlike her elder sister, her powers were not as controlled and stable. She will have to learn how to control them. She was too young to understand and she wailed, thrashing and kicking and refusing to part with me. . . 

But it had to be done. I planted a soft kiss on her forehead and let her go.

Tears had already pooled around my eyes. I could no longer keep them at bay any longer and it wasn't long until they flowed freely down my face in tiny beads of salty water, the dam having finally broken. There had been so much destruction but. . . I wasn't able to fix it all. It was supposed to be my duty, and I had failed.

Once I regained my wits after several deep breaths, I got to work. I opened another portal by moving both my hands in a circular motion then spreading them out in order to enlarge it. It was just my size, it called to me yet taunted me at the same time. To me, what I was doing was right. But would the others feel the same way? Nevertheless, it was time for me to leave, to make things right once for all. Questioning myself and hesitating would only waste more time. 

However, before I could step into the portal, someone called my name from behind me, garnering my attention.

"Leaving already?" A woman asked, filed with sadness.

I turned around to face the familiar woman. "I'm afraid so, Miss Chella. I must, for Crytalida and for Earth."

She sucked in a long breath and closed her eyes. "Will they be safe? They're the only ones with your blood and power in their veins." 

"They will be alright. Perhaps you can find them when this is all over. Or maybe someone else will and take good care of them. I do not know. . ." My voice trailed off and I shut my eyes, suddenly feeling the fatigue and sorrow that had taken a toll on me. It was so tempting to give up and surrender, so easy too, but it was not an option I could take. "I wish I could see them grow up and become stronger but it is better this way. But I still sincerely hope that this will not be the last time I see them."

Miss Chella sensed my uneasiness and in a soft voice she said, "You will do fine, just never forget us."

A loud explosion made me turn back at the portal. 

"I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to. Goodbye, Chellareese."

With that I took a step forward, but not before taking one last look back over my shoulder and seeing my dear friend harness her powers to keep the Shadow at bay.

I exhaled sharply, sharpening my firm resolve. Doing this will keep everything balanced. . . But with a sacrifice. I stepped in and with a bright flash and a whirl of every shade of purple, I started to fall. Or was I being pulled forward? It was an odd feeing, I was going everywhere at once.

And then suddenly it was all over. I was in the other world.

As the flash and swirl of colors faded, I could finally examine my surroundings. Loud, chaotic. . . an absence of magic. 

This would be my new dwelling place for the next years to come, trapped forever. 

______

I'm keeping my promise and editing this. Thank you for everything and enjoy <3