Charades

Jamie felt like a fool. Even after a week since the incident she was still embarrassed that's she'd run off instead of talking to that guy who had turned out to be Aunty Fi's nephew Lex. Aunt Fi had apologized on his behalf and said that he wanted to make it up to her. Jamie didn't think it was necessary because he hadn't really done anything wrong. It had been an honest mistake.

Even though she'd only been here a week, she was already contemplating going back home. Maybe she didn't belong here in this big fancy house in these clothes that cost more than all the things she'd ever owned. The week had gone by in a blur with a whirlwind of shopping. Aunt Fi had not been kidding when she said she'd take Jamie and Kendall shopping. They'd hit every high end boutique in the city. Aunt Fi had purchased shoes, casual outfits and evening wear. She'd even purchased the girls expensive undergarments to wear beneath them. Though Jamie had tried to object, Aunt Fi was like a steamroller and insisted. When all was said and done, their godmother had spent tens of thousands which seemed like nothing to her.

Jamie had put her foot down when Aunt Fi had offered to buy her a new car. Jamie's ten year old sedan may not have been anything fancy, but she was proud of her vehicle because she'd worked hard for it and bought it herself with her summer and afterschool jobs. While she was grateful for her god mother's generosity, it made her feel like the charity case Lucinda had accused her of being. It firmed her resolved to find a place to live as soon as possible. After her parents had died the sale from their house and the insurance money was enough to cover four years of Kendall's tuition and gave Jamie a modest savings. She figured after a few paychecks at her new job, she'd be able to move. She'd be starting her new job in a few days so maybe things would change then.

She walked aimlessly through Aunt Fi's rose garden. Aunt Fi had a meeting with her auxiliary club and Kendall was out with her new friends. She lightly touched the flowers as she strode down the manicured path. When a hand fell on her shoulder, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

She turned around to see Lex standing in front of her. Being only five foot one, she had to crane her neck up to meet his gaze. He had to be at least six teeth in all his broad-shouldered glory. He was just as good looking as she remembered but then she also recalled running off like an idiot and she wished the Earth would swallow her.

"Hello, Jamie right." He smiled.

He spoke loud enough that she was able to catch what he was saying but she could tell it wasn't the natural volume of his voice so she shifted her attention to his lips. "Yes. Uh, you can talk normally, I can read your lips."

"Seems, like I keep making mistakes. I meant no offense."

"It's okay."

He held out his hand. "I'm Alexander, but the way, but all my friends call me Lex. I hope we can be friends, Jamie."

She looked at his hand and then back to his way before hesitantly placing her hand in his. His large hand engulfed her much smaller one and a warm feeling crept throughout her entire body. She snatched her hand out of his and took a step back. It was no fair that this man was so good looking and had this effect on her as well. "Why?"

He raised a brow.

"Why what?"

"Why do you want to be my friend? We don't know each other."

"Well, Jamie, my Aunt Fiona has told me nothing but good things about her darling God daughters and I personally wanted to apologize again for my insensitive remark when we met."

"It's no big deal. I overreacted. How could you have known?"

"Regardless, I made you uncomfortable and I won't be able to forgive myself if I don't make it up to you."