Fates Part 11

At The Crossroads

                                                                                Face the reaper

                                                                                Know the truth

                                                                              Watch as they die

                                                                Your assignment is almost done

                                                                   Your last breath my gift to you

                                                                                            —Z.

Tanaka is sharing the note with Izzy. Both of them hovering over their flimsies which are laying flat on the table. Pacing, my arms are crossed. The bubbling sounds of coffee brewing pierce my thoughts.

"Zara?"

"What?" I join them at the dining table.

"The Crossroads? The ones you spoke about?" I nod to Tanaka. Izzy leans forward.

"I think this message is literal." Izzy looks at Tanaka and nods. He looks back to me.

"Zara, if this guy is a shinigami we are out of our depth." The memory of the fiery-haired beings returns.

"Not necessarily." The coffee maker beeps to announce that the pot is ready. Three cups on standby receive the contents. I grab the filled cups and a tray with sweeteners and milk. I place it on the table so we can all have our coffee how we like. I pour a liberal amount of milk into my coffee and three cubes of sugar. Tanaka takes two cubes of sugar. Izzy four cubes and some milk.

"Wait," I point at Tanaka, "I thought you are a rational man. You bring up shinigami?" The only reason I know shinigami means 'death spirit' is because of the popularity of the topic in anime. Izzy and I love watching anime together.

Tanaka nods. "Look, even I am willing to believe it is possible. If it is possible, then we should steer clear."

"Hmph, it sounds more like you are concerned about our welfare. Not that you really believe." Izzy puts her hand down between us in a cutting motion.

"Hold up, guys. Think about it. Either way, this perp' is no joke. What are we going to do?" I am done arguing with her about her involvement.

"Good question, I will handle this myself." Both of them look at me like I've grown a second head.

"What?"

"Do you have any sense of self-preservation? The guy blew up like ten squad cars, including all the debris"

"They were more like five. Honestly, someone needs to take him down before he throws us all back into the camps." I take a sip of my coffee and smile. Who wouldn't smile tasting such a divine cup?

Before Tanaka can speak up again, Izzy interjects, "Look, Zara knows what The Crossroads are. She can even go there. Do you think it is a coincidence she is the one to get this case?" Tanaka stands and backs away from the table. "What the hell does the perp' mean by, 'your assignment is almost done,' huh?" He looks at me directly.