Returned Letter?

Nikita put down a few different tablets of medicines. She didn't know what they were, but she didn't care. If it could get her through the day, she would do it.

"Only three more days," Nikita kept telling herself. Nikita put on her make up. The dark liner to hide the even darker circles under her eyes. She's been up for the past 24 hours taking care of her ungrateful mother. Nikita knew she was going to be exactly like her one day, a helpless drug addict depending on her daughter to help to everything she can't do. Nikita had to mature much faster than anyone she ever knew. Nikita has been staying up until 3 am holding her mother's hair as she threw up her entire life. Nikita was always there for her mother, but she shouldn't have to be. Her mother should be the one taking care of her. Nikita's father left her mother when she was caught messing around with another man. Nikita's father didn't care about her enough to take her with him.

Nikita went through the living room to get to the kitchen. Her mother hadn't moved from the position Nikita left her in earlier that evening. She came stumbling in around 4 am. Another strange man had dropped her off. Nikita went into the medicine cabinet and pulled out Tylenol, Asprin, and anything that looked like a pain medication. She laid them on the table next to the couch. She left a trash can and a bottled water next to them.

Nikita headed out the door. She didn't care if she was late or not, but she had to get there sooner or later. It wouldn't matter in a few days anyway. Nikita headed for the mailbox. It was usually all junk that her mother had signed up for in a bar when she was drunk one evening. Nikita noticed a slightly different thing, and it was addressed to her. She looked at it for a few moments. She took all the crap back into the house and opened her own letter.

After reading the letter she was stunned. She didn't think anyone would care enough to pick it up. She had to write back. She looked over to her mom who was still asleep. Nikita knew she would be there until around 3 or 4, so she went back to her room and pulled out a piece of paper.

Riley,

I have to say, I'm stunned someone wrote back. I didn't think anyone would. Some detainee would come by and pick it up and throw it away because they had to. Who knew someone would care enough to pick up a piece of garage on the side of the road? Unless, you're a tree hugger? Haha. That's totally okay if you are though! You want to know more about me? You've got three days. Better start writing your questions down now. I'm interested in hearing what you wanna know. Thanks though... For not egging my house (:

Nikita

Nikita figured this would suffice. She couldn't but to just have this little strand of hope for herself, but she knew anytime she's ever believe in herself for a moment, someone let her down. Nikita could help but to wonder if it would be different this. Maybe Riley knew what it was like to just lay down and cry so helplessly. She could know what is like to constantly scream about wanting to go home, but not having a real home. Even if she didn't know what it was like, maybe she knew how sympathy work. Maybe, she knew how to stick around, unlike Nikita's father.

"Ah fuck," Nikita heard her mother say from the living room. It was around 2. Nikita hadn't realized she'd been thinking and writing that long. She knew it had been at least an hour or two, but she didn't realize she spent 9 hours of her day laying in bed thinking about Riley. What if they could be best friends? Nikita went out to check on her mother. She was siting up taking the medicines Nikita had left out. She washed them down with a glass of wine, rather than the water bottle Nikita has left out.

"Typical," Nikita said. She couldn't handle it much longer.

"Just shut up. I have a head ache," Nikita's mother said, wiping away the smear eyeliner under her eyes from the night before.

"No kidding? I never would have guess you could get a hangover anymore. You'd think you'd be immune to them by now." Nikita said. She stormed into her and got her letter. As she was heading out the front door, Nikita's mother was picking a fight. "Just shut up. You have a head ache." Nikita said, closing the door.  Nikita got to the post office. She purchase a few stamps and let the envelope fall in the sea of messages. She could only hope Riley didn't think of her as a freak.