TWENTY FIVE

REAL LIFE CHAPTER AGAIN IM A PROFESSIONAL AUTHOR NOW™

Dee sat picking at the fabric of the leather chair she was sat in, her eyes glued to her feet. She could feel her therapist staring holes into her.

Her therapist, Sue, knew the way Dee worked by now. She wasn't going to start talking until she felt like it, but once she started, she wouldn't stop. Its just how she worked.

They'd already talked about Castle Rock, and how she was doing with working. They made small talk. They'd talked about the small stuff first, and then when it was time to move to the big stuff, that's when Dee got quieter.

She wasn't due for an appointment until next week, since they'd moved her to bi weekly instead of every week. But when Bill went to her house to find her sitting on the kitchen floor, crying, he decided it would be best to bring her in the next day.

"How you feeling, mentally, today?"

Dee thought over the question, her fingers moving even slower now as she picked at that one loose thread in the arm of the chair. One day she'd pull it out, she'd been picking at that same thread for a year and a half.

"I'm alright," she finally shrugged, "Better than yesterday"

"What happened yesterday?"

From her peripheral could see Sue cross and recross her legs, making her slightly more nervous.

"I tried to call my mom, because I missed them. But when she answered I didn't even get to say hello before she said she was busy and hung up on me," Dee said softly, "They're in London, not even on business this time. They just went to get away from me"

"So I'm guessing Bill brought you in?"

Dee nodded, her eyes glued to her fingers. She wanted to stop picking at that thread, but she couldn't, "He stayed with me last night to make sure I was okay, and he brought me here today"

"He stayed with you? Did you call him to come help?"

She shook her head no, "No, I think my friends did"

"Friends?"

Dee laughed a small, sad laugh at the surprise in Sue's voice, "Yeah. I have friends now"

"What are they like?"

"Well, theres Sophia. She's a really good photographer and she's super smart and nice. There's Finn and Jack, they're idiots but they're the funniest kids ever. Jeremy's the sweetest kid you'll ever meet, he's so pure. And Chosen, he's so talented it hurts me. He's a singer, and an actor, he does everything and he's so good at it. And there's Wyatt and Scout, Wyatt's really good at giving advice and he's a really nice kid, and he cares about Scout so much. And she cares about him, they're really good together. And there's Jaeden" Dee paused, a small smile trying to tug it's way to her lips.

"Jaeden?"

She stared at her fingers more. They stopped picking at the thread.

"Jaeden's my best friend. He's all those things and more, I guess. He's funny and he's sweet. He texts me good morning and goodnight and he always asks me how I'm doing and he cares about what I say. Everyday since I've been home he's asked me if I wanted him to come over because he knows I don't like being alone in my house all the time"

"They all sound very nice, I'm happy for you, Dee"

Dee nodded, "They are, I love them a lot"

"Well, I'm happy you have a stronger support system now," Sue said, and Dee saw her unfold her legs and lean forward, "I'm going to move you back up to weekly session, even when you're on set, alright?"

Dee nodded, her hand completely moving from the thread and into her lap. Sue noticed, a small smile pulling to her lips, "You can go, sweetie. I'll see you next week"

Dee nodded again, getting up and making her way out of the room. She went back down the hallway to the waiting room where Bill sat on his phone. When he saw her he stood up, looking at her worriedly. There were no tears, which he always assumed was a good thing whenever he brought her.

"You ready to go home?" he asked, putting his arm around her shoulder as she nodded, both of them walking out the office doors together.

|

IMESSAGE

dee
hi

jaeden💛
HI
I MISSED YOU
ARE YOU OKAY

dee
yeah i'm fine
can you come over?
i miss you

jaeden💛
yeah i can
i'll be there in 20