[3]

It was a busy Thursday afternoon at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania and I was exhausted. School was so full on, even though it's only the first week. Today is my first day at ALDC. I'm pretty nervous. I've heard the dancers there are really good. I feel intimidated.

We reached ALDC and I got out of the car. It was pretty hot outside, as it was early September. I squinted at the sign in front of me:

Abby Lee Dance Company

It seemed unreal. It almost seemed like a dream. I pushed open the door, while my mom stood behind me. I carried my bag on my shoulder and walked over to the front desk. Ms. Abby was sitting at the desk eating a sandwich. She looked up at us and quickly put her sandwich away. "Aliyah! Glad you could make it!" She said standing up. She dusted herself off and came over to us.

"She's been really, super excited," my mom filled in for me. I actually hadn't shown THAT much excitement in the past day, but I mean, whatever.

"That's good," she replied. "I'll show you around." I followed her over to a familiar room, I called 'The mom room'. It's because all the moms stayed there at tryouts. She called it the main room, where you put your bag. There were cabinets for bags, and there were already 6 cabinets full at the moment, but Ms. Abby said they'd be more soon, for the mini team. I don't really know what that means, but I just nodded and placed my bag in the cabinet on the edge.

After a quick tour, Ms. Abby instructed me to put on my shoes and meet me in one of the studios. I changed my shoes from joggers, to jazz shoes and made my way to the studio. There, were 6 girls my age, staring at me. There were portraits on the mirror, stuck in a triangle shape. I awkwardly stood next to Ms. Abby as she introduced me. "Ok! So before we continue..." is what I heard before I drifted off into a new world. I was surrounded by cameras. I will be on a TV show! I probably should've looked my best, but it was too late now. "Her name is Aliyah. Aliyah? Would you like to introduce yourself?" I heard and looked up at Ms. Abby.

"O-ok. My name is Aliyah, and that's my mom Heather," I said pointing to my mom. "I've been dancing since I was 2 and I enjoy dancing a lot. Now I'm 13,"
I finished. They all nodded and I stood next to a younger girl that looked 10. Ms Abby then introduced me to the 6 other girls standing in a line next to me. She started from the girl standing next to me.

"This is Mackenzie. This is Maddie," she said. She went in order of the line. "Chloe," she pointed to a blond girl wearing a bun. "Kendall, and finally, Nia." She ended.

"Hi!" I waved to them. They all waved back.

"Now the moms. Melissa, Mackenzie and Maddie's mom. Christi, Chloe's mom. Jill, Kendall's mom, and Holly, Nia's mom." Ms. Abby said. Once we finished talking to each other, one of the moms started arguing to Ms. Abby. They were arguing about me.

"This happens a lot," Mackenzie whispered to me. I just nodded.

Finally the mom was sent out, and that was Jill. Kendall looked embarrassed. She mouthed "Sorry" to me. I mouthed "It's ok" back. These girls were really nice to me! Ms. Abby then told me to improv. I was kinda put on the spot, so I turned red. The girls and moms stepped back and Gianna turned on the music on. I started dancing. I could see all eyes on me as I danced around the studio.

"Do you see how powerful, yet still graceful she is?" I heard Ms. Abby say. I didn't want to be one of those girls that shows off so I stopped. They all clapped then I stood back in the line.

After all that, Ms. Abby gave the girls assignments for the concert this weekend. Ms. Abby said I'll have to do it too. That's means I'll have to be homeschooled. Chloe and Serena will kill me.

"Maddie, you have a solo and so does Aliyah," Christi opened her mouth to say something, but thankfully closed her mouth. "There's also a group dance."

After that, Maddie was sent into another room to start her solo, and the rest of us got to know each other. "So Aliyah, Congrats! Getting into Aldc, is a huge deal!" Said Kalani. I smiled.

"Thanks. I didn't think I'd get in," I replied.

"Just letting you know, you're a really good dancer. You may get compared to Maddie a lot. I don't want to scare you, but this is a lot of pressure." Mackenzie said. "I get compared to Maddie a lot, because everyone thinks that I'll grow up to be like Maddie. I won't! I'll grow up to be Mackenzie!"

"Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that," I answered.

"Also, don't expect to win this weekend. You're ridiculously good but you've only just started." Kendall added. I nodded in response.

"Aliyah? Your turn for solos," Abby told me. I ran into the room Maddie was just in. Gianna was waiting for me. She had me listen to the song. 

"It's going to be a lyrical routine," Gianna said. Then we started learning the routine. Gianna said I was a quick learner and I could get through the dances quicker than most people do. I tried to put in a lot of effort to show Ms. Abby I can be part of the team. She said that everyone is replaceable if you don't try hard enough.

I kept in the back of my mind that I probably won't win first place, because it's my first week and competition.

Soon we started the group dance. I kept up pretty well. In fact I was quite ahead.

Next thing I knew, it was the end of the day. Ms. Abby had to talk to my mom before we left. I didn't get to hear the conversation, because they sent me into the room where the other girls were, getting ready to leave too.

When we got in the car, mom started to talk. "Honey?" She said quietly.

"What up mom?" I replied.

"I know you aren't going to like this. At all. I understand if you need some time to think, even though you don't have much of a choice, or you get upset. This is something you haven't wanted to do." She said.

"Yeah?"

"We have to homeschool you. You'll be doing lots of travelling, and you'll have to show up during the day for practices and TV shooting an-" she paused. She covered her mouth with her free hand as she was still driving. "I wasn't meant to say that," she said.

"Can you please tell me?" I begged.

"It's a TV show. We'll be on a TV show." She said. I knew it! I nodded. Wait. I'll have to be homeschooled! I don't want to! But I've got no choice. Unless I want to quit going to ALDC. Which I don't want to do.

"I'll be homeschooled..." I said. She smiled.

A/N Sorry if I get anything wrong in this book. Like if Dance moms is different than how I wrote it.