About Last Knight (EIGHT)

The phone rang and because I didn't feel like answering it, I let the machine do its work.

"I assume you know who I am, so I won't say. If you want me to get back to you, leave your name, phone number, and the reason you're calling. Ciao." BEEP!

"Coop, answer the freakin' phone!"

Snickering, I reached the required three inches to pick up the cordless. "What kind of tone is that to use when calling someone?"

My caller snorted. "What kind of message is that? You sound like a biotch." I only laughed. "It annoys me when you screen your calls. Damn. And why do you own a cell? You don't answer that either."

"I'm so sorry."

She snorted again. I was on the verge of telling her that she sounded like a horse, but she seemed agitated enough. "What're you doing?"

"Your mama."

"Why can't you ever be normal?"

"Because I don't wanna," I replied, sounding like a petulant child. "What do you want? I'm surprised you can come up for air with that new boyfriend of yours," I teased. That walk to the Starbucks across the street had turned into so many outings for the pair, that I had lost count many weeks ago. Julie was akin to a light bulb, shining brightly even mentioning Kyle's name. I had to admit. They were pretty cute together. I teased her that if they ended up marrying and making babies, I would have the most adorable godchildren in all the world.

"Don't be jealous."

"Please. I don't want him."

"Yes, I know--penises hold no interest for you. I have a strong feeling that I know who you want though," she teased back.

I groaned as I stretched out on my couch. "Let's not start with this subject again, Julie. How are things with Kyle?" I asked, changing the subject before it really started.

"Fabulous. How are things with Brooke?" All traces of anger when she mentioned Brooke's name had disappeared by now. Four months into our steadily growing friendship had caused Julie to warm up to her, which I hadn't known possible considering the amount of animosity she had in high school.

"Fine," I answered. "Our friendship is just fine."

"When is it going to be more?"

"Julie, have you ever heard of the expression if it ain't broke don't fix it?"

"And, Cooper, have you ever heard of the expression love is friendship set on fire?"

"When did we start talking about love?"

"Just now. Try to keep up with the conversation."

"I could just hang up."

"And I could just come over there and kick your ass if you do."

"You have got to be the sweetest best friend in the world, Julie."

"I know--my sweetness is a cross that I must bear. Now I asked you what you were doing? And please don't bring up my mother again," she warned me.

"Nothing," I truthfully answered. I had been channel surfing before she called, but since that didn't sound intriguing, I decided not to mention it. The remote now rested on my stomach, and the television on the Food Network. Chopped, one of my favorite shows from that station was on, and I idly wondered how the chefs would make those peculiar ingredients work in order to create a decent dish.

"What are you wearing?"

Lips against the speaker, I grinned. "Clothes."

Julie muttered something, and I was pretty sure that it was a curse word. "What kind of clothes?"