Cigarettes and Valentines

February 14, xxxx

*Stein's P.O.V*

It was a late winter's night, and there I was smoking my first cigarette. My partner Spirit left me. I lost my best test subject to some womanly meister named Hanaji. Spirit was always a big womanizer, but who would've thought he'd end up in a serious relationship. I don't need a weapon, but I need to find my next test subject. I was on the brink of discovery with my old subject, but now I'm back to square one.
"Dammit!" I hissed as I threw my cigarette on the concrete steps leading up to the DWMA. I pulled out another smoke without a thought.

*Reader's P.O.V*

I strutted down the steps of the DWMA after a long night of studying. I looked down at the dirty valentine my now ex boyfriend had written for some skank. My face already had dry tears on it, and I didn't want to cry again. After contemplating my next means of action, I finally decided to crumple up the Valentine, and I threw it as hard as I could. While the crushed paper was making its way down the steps, I noticed a boy smoking. The Valentine stopped right next to him. Intrigued, I made my way towards the grey haired teen with a bolt in his head.
"That stuff'll kill you, ya know." I commented. He took another long puff.
"Oh, I know. But its supposed to help you deal with crap, isn't it?" He flicked his cigarette, and produced another one. Instead of smoking it himself, he held it out to me.
"Ah, what the hell." I snatched it from his pale hand and placed it between my lips. He extracted his lighter, and I leaned towards the open flame. This time, we both took a long puff.

"Stein." The boy held out his hand.
"_______." I took it without hesitation.
"So what brings you here on the night of Valentine's day? Didn't you make plans like everyone else?" I pried.
"I didn't even know it was Valentine's day." The ash fell as he spoke. "My weapon left me after five years, and I'm not quite sure what I'll do without him." I felt pang of surprise. Stein's situation was oddly similar to my own.
"I left my meister today, but that's only because he did something terrible to me." I bent over and picked up the Valentine from the cold ground, and handed it to Stein. He read it, and tossed it back on the steps. After the fact, he threw his cigarette butt on it, and it slowly curled into flames.
"No use in wasting your time on a partner like that." The flame slowly died down as Stein twisted the bolt in his head.
"I better get going now. I have things to do back at my lab. It was nice meeting you __ --" Stein was cut off by the kishin that stood in front of us. This kishin had a black, slimy figure with beady red eyes and bright white teeth. Stein gave me a troubled look and swung his arm towards me.

"________! Transform, now!"