Chapter 8: Leaving Charlene/"What am I gonna Do with you?"

September 11th 1987

I'd played a few of my new songs at First Avenue and the people just loved it. I also had to do a lot convincing, in order to have Diana join me on tour. After asking several times, is finally gotten permission to and notified her immediately to give her the good news. Once that was over, there was only one more person to call...Charlene.
My hand hovered over the phone shyly. To tell sweet, innocent, angelic girlfriend that you're going on a trip and that you want be alone, will not exactly be easy. 

I shakily dialed her number and brought the phone to my ear. After a couple of rings, she answers. "Hello?"
"Hi, Charlie." 

"Oh hey, Applehead! How are you?" 

Not well.

"I'm great. My album is the talk of the town. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback." 

"I've heard. I really like that Liberian Girl song. It's so beautiful!" 

"Hehehehe, thank you. Umm..there's somethin' I need to tell you." 

"Yes?"

Tell her Michael...

"Uh, In order for me to promote my album, I have to go on tour." 

"Okay, and?" She asks.

"I can't really bring anyone who's not part of the show with. So that means I can't bring you. I'm really sorry." 

"Michael." She laughs. "It's okay. Do what you gotta do." 

I don't deserve her...

"Thank you, Charlie. I will try to call you as much as possible, that's a promise." 

"Sounds great. Now pack your bags, boy! You gotta flight to catch!" Charlene says goofily. 

"Hehe, alright. I'll talk to you later okay?".

"Okay." She says. "I love you.".

I was somehow shocked from hearing such a heartfelt statement before. This is the first time she said that to me..."I-I love you too." 

"Bye." Her laughter hummed through the phone, before being cut off by the end of the call. 

I lower the phone from my ear. "What am I doing?" I slid down the wall, brought my knees to my chest and covered my face in shame.

"This isn't right..."....

I wake up on the floor, my eyes red and puffy. I used a wet face cloth to wipe the tears from my cheeks and eyes. After I clean myself up, i check the time,7:30 pm...

I get my things together, until I heard my doorbell ring. "Hold on!" I say, trotting down the stairs. 

I open it up to see Diana wearing one of my tour letterman's and a pencil skirt. She kisses, me and helps me with my suitcases. 

Wayne drives us to the airport, the place is swarming with screaming fans. "Looks like word got out." Wayne chuckles.

"Yeah, and fast."

With a slight giggle, Wayne and the other bodyguards escorted us through the herd of shoving, shouting fans Until we finally make it on the plane safely. 

Diana

Michael and I settled in our seats as the plane took a flight. I chose to paint my nails, knowing this flight is going to be pretty long. 

"The greatest thing you'd ever learn, is just to love a be loved in return. Oh and he loved in return." I silently crooned the rest to myself.

 "What is that?" Michael asks sitting back beside me.