seven

"i like happy songs with titles that don't match at all,
so spin the bottle in your brain and match your weakness with a name.

i like songs that sound nice,
even with the words like dog bites
cutting through my hands,
cause feeling is a rare thing for me
on my ceiling--
yeah!"

geoff played his part aggressively, happy to be back on the stage. he wasn't able to make it to several of the shows because of the incident--which, thankfully, no one knew about, though there were theories--so it was a relief.

he always felt so happy while bouncing around on a stage, screaming and singing into a mic, strumming his guitar loudly and quickly.

"alright, next, we're gonna play a song that isn't up next on the set list," awsten said, smiling at the crowd.

otto and geoff looked at each other, shrugging their shoulders. this was probably another one of awsten's spontaneous decisions.

"this one is dedicated to someone who has always been by my side. someone who i've hurt, who has hurt me. someone who held me when i was frustrated. this song is called powerless."

awsten looked at geoff, smiling at him hopefully. geoff smiled back, getting ready to play.

"i really wouldn't mind
a twenty hour drive
with you on the other end
filling up my tired head
tell me all my favorite things you've said before.

you know i'd make the time
im just waiting on your green light
yeah, i'll be at your porch
by this time tomorrow,
cause im almost not fine
but i'd never let you know."

geoff hummed along, trying to keep himself from crying. the memories flowed back, forcing him to remember everything.

💊 💊 💊

"awsten, dude, that was wild!" geoff yelled, laughing as awsten huddled into a ball after being chased by security guards.

"h-jesus, can't--gasp--ho--large breath--holy shit!"

geoff locked the door so that, hopefully, the guards couldn't break in. see, awsten decided it'd be an amazing idea to take his skateboard into the mall and ride on the escalators. he almost fell several times.

now, awsten was catching his breath, smiling brightly at geoff.

"want something to eat?" geoff asked, holding his hand out to awsten.

💊 💊 💊

geoff sat at his grandma's side, holding her hand tightly as she spoke her last words.

"geoff, i want you to pursue your musical dreams. p-please, for me. you can do great things. i love you."

"i-i-i lo-love you t-too, grandma."

her hand went limp as geoff screamed, crying harder. awsten grabbed his shoulders and forced him to sit down before wrapping his arms around geoff. he played with geoff's hair, attempting to calm him down.

"it'll be okay, geoff. it'll be okay."

💊 💊 💊

"powerless tonight,
all i am is losing track tonight,
tell me why
you're the only one that makes me
powerless tonight."

at this point, geoff's vision was blurry. tears rolled down his face, his attempt to keep himself in check not working.

💊 💊 💊

"geoff, can y-you come over?" awsten whispered on the other line.

"i'll be there in five."

geoff grabbed his keys and ran to the car, getting in and quickly speeding out of his driveway. awsten never whispered. awsten never called him.

awsten never asked him to come over.

he walked in the house, only to be greeted by a drunk mr. knight.

"hey, geoff! i have a question."

he grabbed a piece of paper and shoved it in geoff's face.

"tell me why my disgrace of a son got a fucking f on his test?

geoff looked over at awsten. awsten was sobbing, huddled in a corner with his hands shielding his face.

"mr. knight...it was my fault."

awsten's head snapped up.

"excuse me?" the elder asked.

"awsten didn't have time to finish the test. i took it from the teacher and told her i'd give it to him. but he had been so stressed that i did it for him. i got an f, too."

he turned to awsten. "boy, i better beat your--"

"no. if you're going to hurt anyone, let it be me. it's my fault."

"how else will i teach the faggot a lesson?"

"it'd be a better lesson if you hurt me, his best friend, rather than him."

he scowled and slapped geoff, causing geoff to fall to the ground.

💊 💊 💊

"i want you to need me like i need you,
i need you to see me when im see-through,
it's sad but it's true--
no one's waiting for you.

but i was thinking we could get away sometime,
yeah, let's call it a date,
and you can devastate my personal space,
i never liked it anyway."

geoff had to stand as far as possible from a microphone--he was sobbing at this point.

the song ended, and geoff didn't know what to do. he turned and looked at otto, who just smiled and pointed behind him.

awsten had grabbed the microphone and moved behind geoff.

"geoff, i'm sorry."

the crowd was exchanging confused noises.

"as some of you know, geoff had to take a break for a while. i'm not permitted to tell you anything except for it's my fault."

geoff's eyes widened.

"i'm an asshole. i've been struggling with my own issues, and i projected them onto him."

at this point, people were recording.

"i don't really know how i could repay him, except for this."

he put the microphone back on the stand and turned back to geoff. geoff was confused as, looking at awsten as if he was insane.

awsten grabbed geoff by the shirt and pulled him towards himself, smiling before--

awsten was kissing him.

it was passionate--the kind that everyone dreams of. awsten smiled into the kiss, licking geoff's lower lip. geoff gasped, grinning happily as awsten kissed him.

"alright, we're waterparks! thanks for coming!" otto said into the mic before the lights went off.