Chapter 3

Cyra's POV

Where was I?
"Get up you ugly, ungrateful child!" No! I couldn't be back here! I sat up suddenly and hit my head on the underside of the stairs. Rubbing my head, I looked down at my clothes and screamed. I wasn't wearing my hoodie and leggings and I owl blanket, I was wearing the old rags that I had worn 4 years ago. The flimsy, ripped mattress that I sat on was itching my bare legs. The tiny, wooden door creaked opened and dirty hands with slivers of nails surrounded by raw, pink flesh crept round the door, pulling it open slowly. I desperately tried to close it but my feeble limbs were nothing compared to the owner of the hand's surprising strength. I tried to cover my head with the thin bundle of rags on my mattress, but the horrid hands ripped them away and a terrifying face appeared. The blue, doll eyes, that still had mascara from last night leaking down her face that was still caked with makeup, had a mad twitch. The heavily powdered nose was touching my small dainty one. The pointy tongue licked the blood red lips hungrily. Her long, dank hair hung in my face. Her breath reeked of alcohol from last night as she spoke.
"Cyra! Cyra, wake up!"

I woke with a start. Zoe was staring down at me, looking concerned.
"Are you alright?" She asked
"Yeah! I'm fine." I answered. But I wasn't. I hadn't had nightmares like that since I arrived at the orphanage 3 years ago but I didn't want to make Zoe and Alfie worry.
"Are you sure because-"
Zoe was interrupted by Laura wailing because an airplane had just gone over head.
"C'mon Zo!" Said Alfie, who was trying to quieten Laura and check the time on his phone at the same time. Zoe held Laura and had her hand luggage in a backpack on her back. Alfie had 2 suit cases, 1 large and 1 small with his hand luggage in a rucksack on his back. I had the other large suitcase and my hand luggage on my back.

💫 💫 💫

2 hours later, we were on the plane and were about to take off. We had a compartment with me and Laura in the inside and Zoe and Alfie were on the outside. The cabin crew told us to put on our seatbelts and we were off. It was Laura's first time sitting on her own seat. Zoe was cooing at Laura and Alfie was vlogging. I adjusted the screen so both me and Laura could see it and I put on a Disney film. I chose my favourite, Robin Hood. I was, once again, wearing my owl blanket and I snuggled down, ready for a long flight. Before the film started, I looked to my right and I saw Alfie turning the camera on me and saying "bye" before falling asleep. On my left, Laura was watching the film, giggling and Zoe was laughing fondly at her. My attention turned to the film as the title appeared on the screen.