Chapter Four- The Promise

(Jake)

I smiled softly, 'Es, it's great to have you back...' She nodded, 'It's great to be back, but unfortunately Adam doesn't quite feel the same...' I knew what had gone on between them. He'd broken her heart, told her to get out and not bother coming back at all. She was so upset, because something had happened, something really serious, and everybody had blamed her. But it wasn't her fault. I knew that. She was with me the whole time, we were just talking... Nothing like that at all. She was with Adam, and she was worried she was losing him. Turns out she was.

Cassie Blake had gotten in the way of their relationship, not intentionally. She didn't know Esmerelda even existed. I'd always said that someone as 'perfect' as Adam simply had to have a secret. And that was it. Cheating on Es with Cassie.

(Es)

I looked up at him and sighed, 'i just don't know why he always has to do this to me. He's supposed to love me, isn't he?' He shrugged, 'I don't know, Es... I really don't know.' He reached behind me and shut the door before taking me into the lounge. I sat down on the sofa, and as he sat beside me, I laid my head on his chest, smirking. This had to work. jake was the most naiive of the lot. I had to get him on side, and the way to get to a man like Jakey is through flirting...

Then... The strangest thing happened. I sat up, leaning my head back on the soft fabric of the sofa. Jake took my hand and held it tight, and I couldn't bring myself to tear it away.