Prologue

"Butterfly, can you pass the sugar?"

Butterfly. That was what Nana used to call me. I always thought it was merely a cute nickname, at least for me. But, my Nana always had her own philosophy about everything that happened in this life, including my nickname. She would say, with a warm-hearted smile, "You will spread those beautiful wings of yours someday. Let them see how beautiful you are. And, those people will be punished by their own emotions."

As much as I loved my Nana, I always knew that those were just words to pull me out of my flood of sadness. Nana hated it when I started having those painful eye, or a blank look while sitting on a swing in front of our house. She would bombard me with how positive thinking always brings out the best in your life, and it all starts with a smile. Then, she would pull me to her upright piano and sing softly:

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are grey

You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away

And that was all I needed to beam at her like a sunshine.

"Butterfly?" Nana called me again. I woke up from my daze.

"Yes, Nana?"

"Sugar, please."

I tiptoed to reach the countertops and pulled a small green jar. I gave it to her.

"You know, Butterfly, what makes life beautiful is to be yourself. You don't have to be ashamed of who you are or what you look like." She said while making heart-shaped dough with her wrinkled hands. "Beauty is not what you should chase. It is kindness you should be after. People who love you will love you unconditionally, one eye or two eyes. So, don't put that sulking face, Butterfly." She pinched my cheek.

I wiped the flour from my cheek. "I am not sulking, Nana. I am just... thinking of unicorns in the sky, running down the rainbow and swimming into the pot of gold." I beamed at her.

She lifted the corner of her lips into a full-blown smile. "Now, that is my Butterfly."

"

•  H E I D I ' S   N O T E  

Hi, sweet peaches!

So, this is the prologue of the story.

Aww, Nana gave her such a lovely advice. Do you agree with her?

Shout out to Selena Gomez for inspiring us with her song "Who says"!

Thank you for the silent readers and readers who have voted, commented, and shared this story. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote, a comment, and a share.    

Laters, peaches!