Part 1: Introduction

Talk 1

Introduction to the Beatitudes

Aranya Ashram, in keeping with the tradition of the Hermits of Saccidananda, has as its pillars interspirituality, contemplation, renunciation and hospitality. The talks and the walk are all about that – including this series of talks, as we consider the life and teachings of Jesus Christ through the lens of Indian spirituality, specifically his teachings referred to as the Beatitudes, and also in relation to renunciation and right livelihood, and current day events.

The Context: Return from the Desert

The Beatitudes are the blessings listed by Jesus as part of what is known as the Sermon on the Mount (Matt.5:3–11).

The teaching takes place relatively early in the ministry of Jesus after he was baptized by John the Baptist.

"As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.' (Matt 3:16 - 17)

Jesus then entered the desert for forty days of prayer and fasting. He needed this time to absorb his Realisation, and it also served as a time to prepare and strengthen, and to be of firm conviction, for the ministry that lay ahead.

Christ in the desert is the story of renunciation of power, passion and prestige as primary, egotistic drivers, any one of which may be a temptation to lead us off the spiritual path.

In the desert, Christ enters into a spiritual battle with Satan. Satan means "adversary." The spiritual struggle left Him, "filled with the Holy Spirit's power". It is with such sacred power that he preached the Beatitudes.

The Three Temptations of Christ in the Desert

After forty days of fasting and prayers Christ is tired and hungry. The fast is about over. It is then that Satan pounces.

It is important to appreciate that this meeting with Satan happens at the end of the long stretch of fasting and prayer. There's not much to do in the desert. In the solitude and silence of desert, we hear God. We enter into contemplation. The Beatitudes are surely the fruit of Jesus' contemplation in the desert.

It is as though Satan's appearance is to say: "No, this is not the fullness of life. It's not about all these lovely beatitudes you have been contemplating: it is about you getting what you want in the form of passion, power and prestige. That's what being Son of God means." And so the temptations begin.

#1 – The first temptation is that of passion

And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. (Matthew 4:3)

In a sense, it is like Satan is saying: "Isn't this what being Son of God is all about – satisfying your own passions, not these sweet beatitudes you have been contemplating".

And Christ replies: "It is written, that Man liveth not by bread alone, but by every word of God" (Matthew 4:4).

Satan tried for a quick hit to begin with, to tempt Christ through His bodily senses, but it didn't work, so he tries another approach.

#2 – The second temptation is that of prestige

Satan takes Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple.

The pinnacle of the temple is clearly symbolic of the "peak of religion" – to be king of one's tradition, full of status, prestige and privilege.