Part 9

I am limping around, the strategy playing out in my mind. The moment they come for the daily food and thrashing, we will strike them, hoping it hits them hard enough to keep them down for a long time. If they don't heal as quickly, they can't warn anyone that quickly. We will be out of here by then. Heros is holding my hand, pacing beside me. He is nicer now and just as eager to get out. "Do you know where that weapon is?"

"What weapon?"

"The one they gave you to execute Noir."

He shrugs. "They took it."

"Then it should be with Verity." My mind struggles to bring up an image of her, but all I see is the white hair. How long had we really been here?

"Who is that?" 

"My...friend?" He nods. "Anyways. I think today is the day the Zima comes alone. We can grab the plates and smack her head hard enough that she can't get up for a long time. She is strong and will put up a fight. Grab the whip the moment it's out of her hands. And then run out, I'll follow you, obviously. These shackles will have to be cut open. I really hope it's night time when we escape. I-" Coughs rack my body and I lean against the wall. My condition hasn't got better, but the will to get out of here and Heros's encouragements are keeping me standing. 

"I understand," He says, rubbing my back. "No one will see us. A good plan. I just hope it works. It isn't what I would call reliable."

I sigh. "I'm doing my best, Heros."

"I know. That's why I'm going along with this. Now let's get some sleep."

The rattling of the cage door wakes us. I get up, groggy, and see the Zima glowing, the whip in her hand. I am elated to see that she is alone. I glance at Heros to see that he is smirking. His eyes are sparkling mischievously. I nod at him and start to move towards the corner, showing that we are cowering in fear. We each take two plates in our hands and back up.

"Get over here!" She barks at me. I shuffle forward, Heros behind me.

"One...," I start to count under my breath. With each step, we are getting closer and closer to her. "Two..." We're almost there. The Zima is standing still, too still and before I could even blink, she lashes out. My shriek drowns Heros's gasp. He jerks back and my wrist is pulled, the plates dropping to the floor. "Heros!" I yell. The Zima laughs and slaps me.

I stumble back and trip over the plates. Bringing my arm to my face, I try to block the beats. "Stop!" Heros cries as he repeatedly strikes her on the head. She turns, momentarily taken aback, which gives me a chance to pull the whip out of her hand. There is a brief struggle; a tug of war, but I overpower her with Heros's help. She is launched back and she hits the cage with a loud bang. I don't understand how, but she is already up, some weapon in her hands. Upon coming closer, I realize that it is nothing other than a simple dagger. It wouldn't kill me, but it could easily kill Heros. I stop abruptly, Heros bumping into me. "What?!" He asks. Without waiting for my reply, he stumbles towards the Zima, not noticing the weapon. Taking advantage of this, she twists his hand back and pulls him towards her, the dagger at his neck. 

"One step, one slit and one death," she says with a grin.  

"What is wrong with you?!" I scream. "You are the leader of a race which protects humans! Not kills them!" She remains silent, not knowing what to say. She loosens her grip on Heros. "I just- I used to look up to you! I thought you were the best leader ever. Clearly not!" 

She snarls. "I don't care. I am the best leader and I will be." She pushes Heros on the floor. "I just need to detain you for some more time. Till I can banish you. No one will say anything because that's the law. I hope you remember from all those classes."

"But why? What have either of us done to you?"

She spits on Heros and laughs. "I know you know. You think you can become the leader?"

"What are you talking about?" I am confused. When did I ever say I wanted to become a leader?

"Don't act stupid! You were there! That day when the Skiel who can see into the future, saw into mine! I know you heard what he said. That a coward, weird kind, someone with some stupid ideologies would take over me! And I know that he meant you!" She lunges at me, but neither of us had seen Heros tieing her feet with our shackles. I act quickly, running I scourge her severely. "Calm down! Don't!" He grabs me from behind and pulls me away. The Zima is lying down, unable to move.

"That's how it feels," I say and interlace my fingers with Heros's. "Let's go."

To my consternation, it's daytime. Thankfully, no one is around. The throbbing in my legs and the burning in my chest disappear the moment I step out. I no longer need Hero's support. He turns to me and raises his eyebrows in surprise. Touching my face, he says, "Your face is looking so much....better. The wounds...and the swelling have gone down drastically, mpenzi wangu."

"What does that mean?" I gently let go of his hand.

"My dear."

I blinked. Then, I coughed. "Right..uh...We need to go to my cave to disguise ourselves. We would be easily recognized." He nods, not taking his eyes off me. "We'll have to fly." I could've transported there. Easily. But then, what's the fun in that? Before he can react, I pull him up into the air.

"AZURA!" He screams as he is lifted off the ground.

"Heros!" I yell back. "Open your eyes!" I take him high up and he slowly opens one eye. Then the other. The Skiel civilization is spread out below us and he marvels at its beauty. "It's all made of an unearthly material."

"No wonder it's so pretty," He says in awe. I don't say anything but instead, I speed up. It would be terrible if we got noticed. I had to leave. The Zima is drunk on jealousy, thinking I am out to get the throne. What Skiel was she talking about? I hadn't known. Maybe she had seen someone else, thinking it was me. But I wondered who that Skiel was.

"Listen. The moment we are disguised, I'll take you to the foyers where Verity will have the weapon. We'll cut these shackles and go to earth, where I'll drop you off."

"Ok...but where will you go?"

"I'll...figure something out? Maybe do something about this horrible injustice...." I trail off as I land in front of my cave. "My humble dwelling," I chuckle. We walk inside and he takes it in.

"It's very small," he says after a while. I am busy rummaging through the chest, pulling out random clothes. "Is that a cloud? You sleep on a cloud?!"

I laugh. "Yes! It's not much...but it's my home." I flash him a smile.

"Why are there only two?"

"For me and my grandfather," I say, closing the chest and standing up.

"What happened to your parents?" He asks hesitantly.

"Oh, nothing. My mother roams around with her mother. I don't know who my father is...but I know that he is a human. So, my grandfather takes care of me." I shrug and give him the clothes.

"Oh." He takes the clothes and gets up. "Well, I'll take you to my house one day. You'll like it there. I'll show you all my favourite places and my hobbies!"

I smile. "I'd like that very much."    

***

Hey! So...what do you think? Is it even mildly interesting? I sure hope so. Is my writing okay?

Dedicated to @tilsa_kalra for voting and reading! :)