Chapter 9

Rory realized that had Finn left at some point. The two of them stayed like that for a long time, Logan with his hands and head on her belly and her hands and head on his.

She never could have imagined that things would turn out like this. Six months ago she thought she was single and would be traveling the country on a bus. She also thought that it was the end of her and Logan. She was shocked by his ultimatum and hadn't known how else to respond. One line on a stick changed everything. 

Without this baby, she might not have realized soon enough to get him back. As it is, it was still a long road waiting for him. She hoped that they could talk it out and reconcile.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she felt his breathing even out and the sobs stopped. She lifted her hands and pulled on his shoulders to get him to get up and sitting next to her.

He looked into her eyes for a few minutes, still silent.

"Well I was beginning to think that we would never find you," she said.

"I'm so sorry Ace. I should have been checking my phone. I should have been checking in with someone. If I had, I would have been back right away. You know that right? I would have come back."

Rory nodded and took his hands, "Logan, what's done is done. We both made mistakes, but this baby has given us a second chance. I might never have fully examined the choice that I made if this hadn't happened."

Logan nodded. "You're right. Tell me everything...Honor said seven and a half months? I can't believe you two are gonna have babies together."

"Logan, you want this too right?"

He looked at her and realized she was seriously concerned...he smiled, "I've never wanted anything more than I want to have a family with you. I have never pictured my future with anyone but you."

She started crying and he pulled her into his arms, "I'm sorry, as Finn would say, you get a 50/50 chance of crying or yelling. When Colin found out he got both," she said with a chuckle.

"They've been taking good care of you?"

"Everyone has. Finn has been amazing. Everyone comes around to make sure I'm never alone. They've been trying really hard to make sure I'm not alone with my thoughts..so those thoughts usually don't settle in I until go to bed."

He nodded, "most of the voicemails were at night."

She nodded, "for awhile I did ok, but I started waking up crying a lot more often, and Finn would hear me. He has been my rock, Logan. You're not the only one that made that assumption. Even your dad asked him."

"I'm an idiot."

"No, you're not." Rory looked forward and noticed the box on the coffee table. Finn must have put it out before he left. She grabbed it, "so, I am seven and a half months, thirty two weeks...that's out of forty, but it's considered full term anytime after thirty six. Everything has been normal. I was pretty sick in the beginning, so they put me on an anti-nausea med because I was losing weight. I was able to stop taking it after the first trimester. I could have found out the sex of the baby at twenty weeks, but I didn't want to without you. I have tried to hold off on any big decisions that weren't vital to the baby's health. In this box, we have put all things baby. I didn't want you to miss anything. Finn got me a journal to record little things in for you. It's in here too.  And we videoed every time we heard the heartbeat and when we had the sonogram.  The video camera is in here."  She put it on his lap, "open it up, ask me anything you want."

He went through the journal first.  There were all kinds of things, when she felt the baby move the first time, the tags from her maternity suit for the interview, when Finn felt the baby move the first time (including his exact words "bloody hell that's freaky"), every appointment card from the doctor's office.  While he was watching the videos, Rory got up and left and then came back with some papers. 

He finished and looked over at her, "what's this?" 

"These are the official papers that I signed yesterday at the realtor's office for my apartment...our apartment.  I didn't want to do it without you, but I realized I can't still be living here with Finn when the baby comes.  Do you want to see it?"  Logan swallowed hard and nodded.  "It's not technically ours yet, we have to wait two weeks before we do anything to it, but the realtor gave me a bootleg set of keys because it's empty."

They got up and went to the door.  Logan started to put his coat on, but Rory stopped him and shook her head, then took his hand and led him out the door. 

"Turns out, if you want a big, fancy apartment, there aren't a lot of places you can find those in the city.  Imagine my surprise when," she led him down the hall to the only other door on the floor, "the perfect one, was right down the hall."

"You want to live, not only in the same building, but on the same floor as Finn?"  Logan looked at her incredulously.

She laughed and nodded.  "It really is the perfect apartment, and we'll need Uncle Finn close by."

He looked around...the layout was almost exactly like Finn's, but with subtle differences to make it unique.  He loved it.  He turned around and took Rory into his arms.  "I love it, and I love you," then he kissed her.  It was tender but the passion behind it rang through loud and clear.

If she wasn't seven months pregnant, she probably would have let him take her up against the wall right there. Since she was pregnant, she ended the kiss, led him to the door, shut off the lights and locked up. Then she led him back to Finn's, but Finn was back.

"Thought you two were probably at a room in a hotel by now," he said grinning.

"Who needs a hotel room, when she's got one right here?" Logan asked grinning right back.

"Well as much as I want to listen to my two best friends reenactment of when that was made," he said while pointing at Rory's belly, "it seems there are other people who would also like to see you.  Honor called and told me that the second you two had mostly reconciled that I was supposed to get everyone together."

They looked at each other. 

"Probably a good idea to take a break from this...not too much at once..." Rory said slowly.  "Come with me real quick."  She took Logan's hand and led him to her room. 

"If you want to go out it's ok," Logan said, but Rory pushed him down on the bed and laid down next to him.  She kissed him hard and hungry, definitely not like someone that wasn't interested so there was that...but as quickly as it started, she pulled away just as fast. 

"I don't want to share you with them...aside from missing you, all these hormones are running through me...it's really a shame all I had around was Finn, Colin, and Robert.  However, it probably would be good to take a few hours break and think about the next part.  Let's go have fun with our friends and then come back here and have some fun together," she finished with a wink. 

Just then there was a knock, "Love, we need to head out in about half an hour," Finn said. 

Logan laid back on the bed and let out a big breath, "I really can't believe you live with Finn.  I've done that...it's not easy."

"Well he wasn't your self-appointed protector then either," she chuckled.  "He really has been amazing...I'm not sure when he finds the time to pick up women actually because he's usually here or at work-" she paused as the meaning of the last part sunk in, "those poor women that he works with..."

"I doubt they see it that way," he said and busted out laughing and watched Rory get ready.