Chapter 5

Luke got Rory moved quickly.  Emily, Lorelai, and Honor took her out to get a new maternity wardrobe for work. She had talked to Alan about keeping the pregnancy quiet for awhile.  He agreed that it would be smart. He even promised to make sure she wouldn't see Mitchum once she started to show.

She started that Monday and fell in love with her job.  It was amazing...the variety that floating gave her was just what she needed.  She was only sad that she would eventually be taking time off for maternity leave and that Logan still wasn't here to share it with. 

Finn and Rory had managed to hide out for another month and a half.  She had another couple of OB appointments with her new doctor in New York.  Finn and Lorelai were with her for each of them. She had an ultrasound that was recorded for Logan but declined finding out the sex of the baby.  She would do what she had to for the health of the baby, but any important decisions would wait until she found him. 

So far, the PI had come up empty handed. Richard was about ready to let him go. Rory was starting to feel like it was a waste of money trying to find someone who obviously didn't want to be found. She thought about him all the time. She hoped he was safe. There were still the weekly postcards to various people. Finn had managed to track them all down without telling them why.

She was over half way, almost five months along. It was Saturday, and the doorbell rang at the apartment. Finn was in the shower, so Rory answered. Standing there, looking very confused, was Colin.

"Rory?"

"Hi Colin," she said back, not sure what else to say. By now she was showing...a person could still assume it was just fat or not notice thanks to the loose clothes she normally wore. It was about to the point where her coworkers needed to know. Especially on days like today...today, she was wearing a tight, knit dress.

His eyes went right down to her belly and stayed there.

"Sorry, love. Didn't get out here fast enough to answer." Finn was standing beside her in a pair of running shorts with a towel around his neck.

Colin looked up and then from her to him and back and his jaw dropped.

"For the love of god! Would people quit assuming we're together???" Rory shouted and stormed off to her room.

"Sorry mate, she's a bit volatile...you had a 50/50 chance of crying or yelling." Finn chuckled, the situation was anything but funny at this point but there was nothing else to do. "I'm gonna put a shirt on quick."

He came back out, and Colin was sitting at the kitchen counter on a barstool. There was a glass of scotch waiting for him, Colin was already drinking his.

"She's not just putting on a few pounds from grief eating is she?" He asked staring down into the glass.

"No."

"And since it's clearly not yours after that outburst...that means it's..." he looked up and met Finn's eyes.

Finn nodded.

"Well shit!" He downed the rest of the scotch and got up and went into Rory's room.

Rory was laying on the bed crying. He laid down next to her and pulled her to him.

"Guess I got yelling and crying huh?"

She managed a chuckle against his chest. "It's these damn hormones."

"I'm sorry. This fucking sucks doesn't it?"

"Majorly."

"I got a postcard today. I brought it, because I knew Finn had been trying to round them up when they came in. Couldn't figure out why until now..."