Chapter 001: Time Begins to Move

ARC: 00I | CHAPTER 001 | TIME BEGINS TO MOVE

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

A few moments ago, the sun had started to descend below the clouds, turning it an almost negative image of its radiant daylight. It is here in this red dusk scenery that we shall begin our story ― a tale of secrets, madness, betrayal and powerful cultivators.

Two figures stood together, looking down upon the slowly flickering to life metropolis below them as a serious aura surrounded them, talking in a grave tone that left no space for humour atop the high-rise building roof.

"I must go find Master." One of the two spoke. He was rather young looking, no more than fifteen years of age in appearance and had long black hair that was pulled up into a neat ponytail, with a single strand of hair loose which was braided.

The other elder male figure gave him a fierce glare. "You know it is forbidden to search for the Master."

The black-haired boy frowned, snapping his fan closed in an elegant and often repeated motion.

"Senior Brother," He spoke to the Red Dragon. "When Master was sent to the mortal realm, her spirit was seriously damaged. Especially at a time like this when the entire Cultivator Realm is against us, how can I abandon her?" He paused for a moment and gave a complexly bitter smile.

"Though she may have been cold and occasionally harsh, she has always taken care of me ever since I was nothing more than a wandering spirit and I shall never be able to repay that debt."

The Senior disciple fumed. "Zheng Yin! You know as well as I that she purposely allowed herself to be excommunicated in order to protect us! She would not want you to do this!"

Zheng Yin turned around to face his fellow disciple, his gold eyes determined. "I have no choice. Besides..." He smiled forlornly, his body slowly fading. "If you were me...you would have definitely done the same..."

"...right?..."

He disappeared completely, leaving the Red Dragon all alone amongst the darkening clouds.

"Of course I would have." He replied softly to no one, turning to leave.

▬▬▬▬▬▬

ᶜᴴᴬᴾᵀᴱᴿ ᴼᴺᴱ / NORTHERN CHINA

"...Lingling."

"Lingling!"

"Mmh?" A small girl asked confusedly, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as her parents stood over her and grabbed her arms to pull her out of bed onto her feet quickly in a rushed panic. 

"Hurry! You have to run away from here!" The fear was evident in their urging. "The farther the better, you just can't let them find you!"

Dark brown eyes snapped open, her heart pounding loudly in her chest as she sat up and threw the covers off herself, breathing heavily. Her eyes were watery in a rare display of emotion which made her look delicate and charming... if only for a moment. 

The girl ran one of her hands through her long, raven hair as she sighed heavily, biting her lip. "Same dream, again." She muttered with unveiled annoyance.

A small 'mew' sound came from her feet and jumped up onto her lap, purring as it rubbed against her arm, earning it a rub of its head. "Worried, were you, Xiaohu?"