Thirteen- Betrayal

Start from the beginning

"I saw him slip away during the night but I thought nothing of it."

"Should we go and find him?"

"I think-"

Before Seán could finish his sentence there were suddenly multiple cracks from all around us. A whole group of people apparated and were encircling us. Seán quickly rushed to his feet and drew out his wand. We were back-to-back and both moving around as we looked at each person.

As I turned, I felt my arm being roughly restrained behind my back. I let out a little gasp at the sudden force and Seán turned around. His eyes widened and he pointed the wand to the man restraining me.

"Stupefy!" Seán casted and the man flew backwards. Instantly, all wands were drawn and aimed at Seán. Seán took a firm hold of my hand and pulled me behind him. He did not let go of my hand.

"Hold it!" I heard that all too familiar hissing voice, telling his men to not cast at us. "Game over again McLoughlin." Wyatt emerged into the circle of people. "It looks like you're outnumbered."

"I can easily take all seven of you out." Seán confidently says, his voice laced with threat, although I knew he was just as terrified as I was.

"Eight," someone corrected, except the owner of this voice was out of sight. I felt a heavy weight in the pit of my stomach as heard the voice. I recognised it.

From behind Wyatt, emerged Newt, except this wasn't the Newt I knew. This Newt was with them.

"Newt?" Seán asks in disbelief as he lowers his wand. "I can't... why?"

"Simple. I didn't want to be part of your scheme with keeping the Muggle alive knowing all of our secrets." Newt snarled. "Thanks for informing me on the plan by the way, it made it much easier for these gentlemen to find us."

"I thought you were my friend!"

"I am, Seán. Can't you see this is for the best?"

"No."

"Just hand her over, Seán."

"No!"

"Seán, come now."

"I said NO!" His grip tightens on my hand. It wasn't hurting me, in fact, I'm pretty sure he was trying not to hurt me.

"Gentlemen..." Wyatt begins.

"Wyatt, you might want this." Newt interrupts and throws him a familiar stick-like object from his pocket. "I managed to retrieve it from his coat pocket last night."

Seán suddenly searches his pockets to confirm that Newt indeed had taken Wyatt's wand.

"Thanks, Newt." Wyatt nods his head at him and points his wand and Seán and I. "I'm going to count to five and if she isn't within my grasp at three, you both die where you stand."

I felt my knees go week as I began to violently shake out of fear. Was this guy for real?

"One..." Seán and I exchanged glances.

"Just let them take me, Seán." I say to him. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"Two..."

"No way, Y/N. If losing you means I die too, then so be it." Seán retorted.

"Three..."

"I can't let you do this."

"And I can't let you do this!"

"Four..."

"Please, Seán, just let me go."

"Five..."

"I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did that."

"Six..."

"I don't want you to die."

"And I don't want you to die!" I could see frustrated tears form in his baby blue eyes.

"Seven..."

"Newt, please! If you were ever my friend, you'd stop this!" Seán cried. Newt stayed put, his arms folded over his chest, his empty of emotion eyes staring into the abyss.

"Eight..." Seán turned away, hurt visible in his eyes and he gave my hand a comforting squeeze. I looked up at him reassuringly.

"Nine..." We had accepted what was going to happen.

"Ten... Time's up McLoughlin." Wyatt grinned.

Seán's thumb caressed the back of my hand, making me feel slightly more at ease for what was about to come.

"AVADA KED-"

Suddenly, Wyatt was launched backwards and everyone around us were hurled off their feet. Seán and I ducked our heads.

I looked up to see a tanned-skinned, muscular man with chocolate-brown eyes and dark hair flopped over to one side. He wasn't particularly tall, perhaps Seán's height. He jogged towards Newt, the only one left standing and outstretched his arm, palm out in front like a stop signal. His eyes flashed gold for brief second before Newt was knocked right off his feet, soaring through the air as though a force-field of some kind was emitted through the man's hand. Newt landed with a harsh thud on the solid ground, instantly knocked out like the other men. Could all wizards do that?

"Follow me!" The American man called to us, ushering Seán and I to follow him. He wore a tatty-looking beige, long-sleeved shirt, brown trousers and brown boots to match. On his back, he wore a backpack which looked years old and was falling apart. Seán and I exchanged glances, both clearly wary of a stranger telling us to follow him. "Come on!" The man pushed further.

Without another moment's hesitation, we followed after the man, stepping over the bodies of the knocked out wizards. I saw Seán stop over Newt's body and look at him with sad eyes. I could tell he was devastated.

"Come on, Seán." I say as I gently push him forward, away from the scene.

One thing is for certain, Newt isn't one of us anymore.
———
A/N:
Ayyye, merging with the Merlin universe here. Wasn't sure if it would work because it's a different kind of magic to Harry Potter but hey, let's roll with it, haha.