Chapter 11: Convincing Dad

Ashton was starting the first day of his senior year in high school when he asked his dad before he went to work, "Would you consider training me to be a bodyguard? You already took me target shooting to protect mom when you are not home. You know I've always wanted to follow in your footsteps even since I was little." Nick responded, "Son, I love you but remember when I told you the story last year that before you were born, your mother and I went through a lot of drama involving a crazed serial killer. I don't want that life for you being dragged into something like that when you have other safer options."

Tara came into the room and Nick gave her a passionate kiss. Ashton said, "Guys, your son is in the room! But mom, while your here, can you tell dad that I will be careful if he trains me to be a bodyguard." Tara commented to Nick, "Sweetheart, it will be okay if you trained him. Besides, he will be going to college in a year and he wouldn't be taking cases for awhile. It has been a lot safer lately around here and that would be great bonding time with your son." Nick sighed in defeat and said in a whisper, "You win, but tonight I will get you back." He gave her a wink then slapped her tush lightly. As she blushed, Tara said, "Nicholas Townsend!"

Ashton shook his head as he heard his mom say, "Your father will be training you on Saturday so get to school, my sweet baby!" She went to give Ashton a big hug and kissed his cheek. Ashton was embarrassed but replied, "Thanks for backing me, Mom! I love you and dad." Ashton gave his dad a quick hug and said, "Thanks for letting me train with you, Dad!" Nick yelled, "Don't get behind on school work because of training!" Ashton nodded and sped off in his red jeep.

When Ashton pulled up to Ranger High School, everyone was already there. All of the girls gawked at Ashton since he was the only guy who wasn't interested in any of the girls there. He looked just like his dad except for his blonde hair. Ashton was a good guy but dressed like a rebel. His passion was theater and he also liked playing guitar in his spare time. Ashton had a confidence about him that drew people towards him like a magnet.

His dad was just like him in high school. The girls chased him but he wasn't interested. Nick finally found Tara when he was 29 years old. Ashton noticed a new girl with platinum blonde hair and light brown eyes. She looked lost and had just dropped her books when a guy bumped into her. Ashton went to help her pick up her books.

He said, "Here, let me help you. I am Ashton Townsend. What's your name?" The girl was shy and blushed without saying a word. She finally got her heart to stop beating quickly. Ashton made her nervous. Her palms were sweaty when their eyes met. She felt butterflies in her stomach. She finally choked out, "My name is Becca Manning. It's nice to meet you, Ashton." Ashton thought, "Gosh, she is a beauty. Why does my heart beat fast when I look into her eyes?  She makes me anxious but I am used to pretending not to be nervous on stage because I have been in school plays most of my life."

He asked, "May I walk you to your first class, Becca? If you don't mind, of course." She replied, "Okay, it's nice to make a friend here. I just moved here from Columbus, Ohio. I am not used to change since I lived there my whole life. I think it's going to be nice here." All of the people in the hall were whispering and staring at Ashton and Becca.

While Ashton may be nice to everyone and all the people may flock to him, it doesn't mean that he is friends with everyone. Ashton said, "Truthfully, I think you will be my first real friend here." This made Becca smile and feel completely at ease with him now. She felt relieved when she found out that they had all the same classes together, including gym. Becca was good at running since she was on the track team at her old high school. She wasn't coordinated in other sports. Ashton made her feel better by teaming up with her when they had gym sports.

At lunch time, Becca bonded with Ashton when she opened up to him about why she left Ohio. Her parents moved here after her dad got a promotion at his job. Also, her ex boyfriend, Richard, was involved with a gang that sold drugs. Becca found out about all of that after she broke up with him. Richard started to stalk and threaten to hurt her. She said, "I don't know why I told you this but I feel comfortable around you." Ashton replied, "Good, because I feel the same way around you. Want to know a secret? You can feel safe around me because I can be your friend and bodyguard. My dad is training me to be one even though I am sure you will be just fine. You left your ex behind in Ohio so it's time to move on and enjoy your new home in Florida." Becca nodded and smiled.

This was the first time she felt safe in a year. Becca is about to find out that her past will come back at her at full force. Ashton came home from school and told his mom about his day. Tara asked, "Why are you smiling so big? It's a girl isn't it?" He blushed and said, "Mom!" Tara giggled and said, "It's cute seeing you smile like that. Your father did the same thing when he met me." Ashton told her about the girl that had him smitten, Becca Manning.