Ari

The only thought that ran through my mind was are we supposed to find Max's body, crumpled on the ground, whimpering like a little broken puppy? That's the only thought that's been circling around inside my head as we flew in circles for hours.

"Fang? Do you remember where we left Max?" Nudge asked."Yes."He said without a moment of hesitation. "Are we going to go there?" He paused this time. "Not if we can help it."

"But why? Maybe Max got hurt and needs help. Maybe we need to save her before we save Angel." Nudge sounded worried, but who wouldn't be? We needed to save Angel, and possibly Max too?

Fang banked right, me and Nudge following in close behind him."I don't think Max would have gotten hurt by herself," Fang said slowly."She's not going to fly into a tree or crash-land. Snow, maybe," Fang shot me a small grin and I returned it while sticking my tongue out.

"So if she's late because she's hurt, it probably means that someone, a person, hurt her. Which means that someone knows about her. We don't want that someone to know about us too. Which they would if we went to where Max is."I nodded, completely agreeing with Fang.

"Right. And if Max is late on her own accord, then us going to her won't speed it up-- it's probably slow her down. "I said, then let Fang add on."But for now, we do a general look-see. But we're not going all the way back."

Nudge was being oddly quiet. After given orders, she would probably question them-- or at least talk our ears off for details. I sighed, knowing that I would probably have to be the one to keep her spirits up. "Nudge-"

"Snow! Fang!" Nudge shouted, interrupting me."It's Tipisco, down below! I'm going there!" Before I could do anything, Fang was already on her case."No way, Nudge."Fang said, flying closer to her."Don't get side tracked now. Stay with us."

"No!" Nudge said, surprising me. She then hunched her shoulders and tucked her head down, already losing altitude."I have to find my parents! If Max is gone, I'm going to need someone!" Okay, ouch.

I know that I'm no Max, but I did my damnedest for my flock. I was absolutely nothing without them, and I expected them all to feel the same way. But apparently I was totally off on that. I was more than disappointed-- I felt heartbroken. Nudge knew that she could always talk to me. She has before...

"What? Nudge, you're crazy. Come on, let's talk about this. Let's find a place, take a break." Fang said, his eyebrows furrowed in what seemed to be anger or annoyance.

"No!" Nudge said, looking like she was about to cry. "I'm going down-- and you guys can't stop me!" She then bolted, tilting her wings the way we've all been practicing, giving herself a good thirty feet ahead of me and Fang.

But I've had more practice as well, so she can't get away that easily. Fang looked over at me and shrugged. I flew closer to him, the tips of our wings touching. "It's a bad idea, but if it gives her some peace of mind, I'm all for it. When we get back and Max is here with steam coming out of her ears, I'll take the blame, okay?"

Fang just stared at me for a second. His dark eyes trailed every inch of my face, analyzing it as if I were a picture or some rare and exotic creature on display. I could feel myself flush. I turn my head and look forward, looking at the small figure that is Nudge."Agree?" I ask after a couple of moments.

Fang takes a few seconds after that to answer. "Yes."

--

"Nudge, for the last time, give this up. This is a bad idea."said Fang, still trying to persuade her to go back."A terrible idea," he says, emphasizing terrible. We had threatened to leave many a times, but she didn't budge a bit.